Another Bass Newb

scottder

• Members

After giving it a lot of thought (aka procrastinating for a long time) I am picking up the bass. Placing an order this evening for a Yamaha RBX170 Bass (Dark Blue Metallic), strap and gig case (already have a bass amp). I picked up "The Complete Idiots Guide to Bass" and am in the market for a good DVD (suggestions here are welcome, a good basic starter DVD is what I need).

My wife has a chromatic tuner for her guitar, not sure if it will work with a bass. Is there anything else I need for now, just starting out. I may get a Bass Pod down the line a bit, but for now I just plan to play it through the amp straight.

Any recommendations, advice (lessons don't work with my schedule right now) on things to do, to avoid etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

• Members

I taught myself and havent had a lesson yet. (Money stuffs) Anyways, if you have a relative or friend you know that plays bass or used to, talk to them about it. Or buy a book, i bought the Absolute Beginner's Guide to Bass. It teaches how to read music and all. Great way to start, learn to read music, it give you so much skill. Save tabs for later. They may be easier to read, but they arent as good and resourceful. But yeah, hope I got some good advice in there for you.

• Members

Welcome to the forum Dood:thu:

Lots of cool people here willing to help out a fellow basstard:D

I'm sure I'll be back with more newb questions in short order :)

Thumper

I wish I could do lessons, but my schedule really doesn't allow it. We'll see what happens in the future.

• Moderators

My advice is to find something about the instrument you love and dive right in exploring that aspect. As you explore, use basic training tools (books, dvds, this forum, etc.) to make sure the techniques you are developing are not going to lead to bad habits that will need to be broken later. The best way is to have an experienced player help you to start, formally or informally. Short of that, listen, read, question, absorb everything and enjoy.

• Members

My Idiocy knows no bounds:freak:

but seriously

I am a visually oriented person so ifI can see it done a few times I can do it my self.

you can go to youtube.com

type in the browser bar bass guitar lessons

or bass slap and pop lessons

this should keep you buisy long enough to get really good on a bass.

• Members

After giving it a lot of thought (aka procrastinating for a long time) I am picking up the bass. Placing an order this evening for a Yamaha RBX170 Bass (Dark Blue Metallic), strap and gig case (already have a bass amp). I picked up "The Complete Idiots Guide to Bass" and am in the market for a good DVD (suggestions here are welcome, a good basic starter DVD is what I need).

My wife has a chromatic tuner for her guitar, not sure if it will work with a bass. Is there anything else I need for now, just starting out. I may get a Bass Pod down the line a bit, but for now I just plan to play it through the amp straight.

Any recommendations, advice (lessons don't work with my schedule right now) on things to do, to avoid etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

dang dude I just reread your post I just bought the same bass less than 2 hours ago same color and everything:thu:

it is a really sweet sounding bass

the tuner should work but if not go here

http://www.tunemybass.com/

• Members

dang dude I just reread your post I just bought the same bass less than 2 hours ago same color and everything:thu:

it is a really sweet sounding bass

the tuner should work but if not go here

I went to a local Guitar Center, and the guy I spoke with (who was very helpful I must say), pulled down the Yamaha, I did a bit more research on it, and it seems to be generally well liked for a "low-end" bass. Glad to see I choose well.

• Moderators

You didn't. You totally screwed up. In fact, you'll never be able to learn to play the bass without a multi-thousand dollar instrument and some groove brain implants. Stop now or you will only embarrass yourself.

Obviously I'm kidding. I hopped on to respond to your setup question. Read the thread in my signature and let me know if you have questions. If it is totally over your head, let me know and I'll start at a more basic level or give you enough background that you feel comfortable reading and understanding it. If after reading the thread you'd prefer for someone else to do the work, take it to your local shop. In any case, have it set up so that you aren't fighting the instrument as well as trying to learn a completely new skill set.

• Members

I am slaping around between typing and the more I play this bass the more I am liking it:thu:

IMO for the money you made a good purchase, of course I am assuming you payed the same as I did.

I got this one for 179.00 well actually I traded around for mine. but I got the best end of the deal.:evil:

• Members

You didn't. You totally screwed up. In fact, you'll never be able to learn to play the bass without a multi-thousand dollar instrument and some groove brain implants. Stop now or you will only embarrass yourself.

Obviously I'm kidding. I hopped on to respond to your setup question. Read the thread in my signature and let me know if you have questions. If it is totally over your head, let me know and I'll start at a more basic level or give you enough background that you feel comfortable reading and understanding it. If after reading the thread you'd prefer for someone else to do the work, take it to your local shop. In any case, have it set up so that you aren't fighting the instrument as well as trying to learn a completely new skill set.

I will read over your threads, thanks! :)

• Members

I am slaping around between typing and the more I play this bass the more I am liking it:thu:

IMO for the money you made a good purchase, of course I am assuming you payed the same as I did.

I got this one for 179.00 well actually I traded around for mine. but I got the best end of the deal.
:evil:

Yup, ordered online for $179, free shipping as well. Hard to beat that with a stick :)

Now the wait for it to get here!

• Members

I heard they just bought a teleport unit for their shipping department. I'd keep checking back every five minutes or so.
:thu:

Can't ... click.....fast.....enough.

Also UPS planes and trucks are powered by clicks to their tracking website!

Archived