Limiter on a Bass amp...Ok to push it?

Noise...

• Members

I noticed that when I've been playing through my Ibanez SW35 amp at higher volumes that the limiter comes on quite often. Is this ok to let it be on a lot, or even all the time? It's working and not letting the bass distort at all, but will it damage the amp if it's on all the time?

• Moderators

With a dynamic source like a bass it shouldn't be on ALL the time, but it can limit the signal on the peak of each note. As long as the speakers are comfortable, you're doing just fine. Whether or not you like what the limiter is doing to the signal is another matter entirely.

• Members

Ok, so basically it's alright if it's hitting it with harder notes, but avoid it being on all the time?

As for the signal, from what I've readon on this amp and my own experience with it, the limiter goes on and leaves the signal sounding about the same. There may be a slight difference when it is REALLY limiting, but when it just pops on for a couple seconds it's unnoticeable.

• Members

is this the same as a compressor...i have a limiter on my combo which flashes if the output signal is too high and protects the speaker...

it has a defeat pull knob so you can over ride it...if your speaker has been up rated..

i looked at the behringer limiter and it does seem to do what my compressor does

having said all that baloney....i dont think it should be on all the time..just shows the peaks when its cutting in...

Archived