Tony Levin

Trauma_Luna

• Members

Chapman Stick (which isn't a bass, its a tapped-only instrument with a range approaching that of a piano) for the weird stuff, but mostly a Stingray or a Stingray5 for most of his work. He was also one of the first pros to switch to a Bongo when they came out, though he is known to still use a SR5 from time to time.

• Members

He gets some of his signature sound by using drum sticks to tap the strings (neither finger or pick). For a while he used drum stick tips (cut to about 4 inches or so) that got strapped to his right index and middle fingers. The drum stick basically works as extension of the fingers. Aparentlty it was pretty tricky to get the force of the rubber bands right. Too loose, and the stick would come off, too tight and it cut off circulation in his fingers.

• Members

Actually Levin generally goes for the 4 string. He will even occasionally ise a 3 string!!!!

He does use mostly MM 5 strings these days. The custom 3 string (strung BEA) he only had for a few months before it was destroyed (with numerous other of his basses and gear) in a fire on his property. I don't believe (but could be wrong) he ever replaced the 3 string.

• Members

He does use mostly MM 5 strings these days. The custom 3 string (strung BEA) he only had for a few months before it was destroyed (with numerous other of his basses and gear) in a fire on his property. I don't believe (but could be wrong) he ever replaced the 3 string.

correct!

MM 5, old dual pickup MM 4 string (Saber or cutlas or some such), Stick, NS bass & Cello are what he's usually playing.

And he gets his signature sound from being Tony friggin Levin :thu:

The funk fingers aren't used all that often... He does use high action and lots of compression (Orange Squeezer clone from analogman mostly)

• Members

i think he was born in 46....so yeah, 60 or 61...crap...

he is an amazing player, and really unknown outside of the musician community...

whenever i hear his work and i am raving about it people are like 'who the hell are you talking about?"

i always feel like its the same of they had never heard of clapton, or van halen, or jimmy page...but since he's a bassist, he might as well be invisible even to people who consider themselves 'into music'

Archived