Can someone answer this question for me?

willsellout

• Members

Why can't I make up my mind with what I want now that I have the cash to buy a 5 string that fits me? I go back and forth between about a dozen basses including a 3K dollar custom. Why would I pay for a custom when I don't gig...and don't forsee gigs in my near future? Yeah I don't know either. All the basses I'm looking at aren't coming up used. So the basses I am looking at are pretty much narrowed down to:

Modulus Flea or maybe Quantum

Stingray HS

Zon Sonus

Warwick Streamer Jazzman or possibly a Stage II

Hamer Cruisebass

I've played two of the five and don't have the opportunity to play any of the other ones. Playing the waiting game is lame and not being decisive is lame. I'm lame.

Dan

• Members

Which question am I supposed to answer??

Seriously, you play bass for enjoyment right? If you pay $3K for something that you prefer, it doesn't make you lame. Crying about having to decide between those fine basses makes you lame :p But, you shouldn't feel like you don't deserve a quality instrument just because you don't gig. You play for yourself, so since you can afford to get what you really want, go get it. Can't help with the indecisive part though. I have enough trouble with that myself.

• Members

Because window shopping's a dream, a fantasy. As long as you haven't made that decission, ANYTHING is possible!

The minute you decide, you're locked in. Fantasy over, reality rules.

Me, I do like you, and entertain as many options as possible, but making sure that I'm pragmatic and paying attention. But, I let the idea float. And then, when it's decission time, I make a decission, and it's said and done. It's what works for me. Some peolpe think it's totally assenign. But, having hit the Grant milestone, it's what I've learned works for me.

BTW, buying a bass is a personal experience. Whatever you do, do NOT smack-talk yourself for considering all options, cheapies to customs! Honest, it's part of the experience. Enjoy!

And whether you wind up with a cheapy or a custom, KNOW it was the choice that fit!

• Members

I have many basses but only take 2 out to gig , I also ordered another one months ago should be shipping soon . Sorry what were we talking about ??? :p Ok in all seriousness get the MM that bass is one of the finest 5vers out there at any price , add it to your collection and move on to the next one ;)

• Members

Why can't I make up my mind with what I want now that I have the cash to buy a 5 string that fits me? I go back and forth between about a dozen basses including a 3K dollar custom. Why would I pay for a custom when I don't gig...and don't forsee gigs in my near future? Yeah I don't know either. All the basses I'm looking at aren't coming up used. So the basses I am looking at are pretty much narrowed down to:

Stingray HS

Zon Sonus

Hamer Cruisebass

I've played two of the five and don't have the opportunity to play any of the other ones. Playing the waiting game is lame and not being decisive is lame. I'm lame.

Dan

apparently you havent seen my threads recently regarding a Geddy Lee bass I just got....and brought back today...

I am lame too...I consider you in good company ...lol

I havent Giged since the early 80's.

I probably wont ever again. I mostly play alone at home to CD's. every now and again I go and Jam with some people.

take your time find them play them and make your decision...you have plenty of time...it aint like you got a gig anytime soon...lol

• Members

Stingray HS

Zon Sonus

Hamer Cruisebass

Dan

you know?

when i quit playing gigs i got REAL guilty about having a bunch of instruments sitting around collecting dust. i sold the ones i wouldn't regret getting rid of and pared it down to the bare minimum.

now that it's been a while and i still play and record for enjoyment i've come to the conclusion that i enjoy having different instruments around to play and as long as i'm not spending money irresponsibly then it's ok.

if you want an expensive 5 string and can afford it - get it and damn worrying about not gigging.

as far as which one to get - i'm voting for the hamer :thu:

• Moderators

as i'm not spending money irresponsibly then it's ok.

And that's what it all boils down to at the end for me as well.

Dan, I sometimes think you are goofy for your indecisiveness, but you don't strike me as irresponsible. I could be wrong. :p I do know that some people pick up and instrument and say "yes, this will be mine" or "no, this is not for me" and other people spend years searching for the holy grail of basses. I'm on one end of the spectrum and you're on the other. Don't get down on yourself, just enjoy everything about basses, music and sharing your experiences with those around you. That includes all the time you spend searching for the holy grail. :thu:

• Members

One of those basses just might speak to you in some way that the others don't- and it may be in a very good way. If this is the case, and you're in this for your own fun, then go with it. If you don't like it, and esp if it's already used, you can turn 'round and sell it!

Lame is part of the deal, being alive here and coming face to face with yourself from time to time. So now that you know you're lame, go get the one that makes you happy. Yes, of course... they all do! Pick one, get yourself committed ;), and go with it!.

I think Warwicks are a little heavy- but I gig a lot and for me it's a consideration. But they're a nice axe! I love natural wood, and they sound great. Go on- do the Warwick! Don't be lame dude! :D

• Members

I'm in the same boat: not gigging, I've got the bass of my dreams (Ric) plus a great Jazz (although I only need one right now) yet I'm trying to get my hands on a G&L ....I wish I had never walked into that shop and said 'can I see how that plays?'

d'oh!

We just love bass

• Members

So fans of the Warwick, Hamer, and Stingray:D. I'm a fan as well. I really am torn between the Streamer and the Musicman but there is a possibility that the streamer might cause problems down the road..although it might not depending on the reach. Ever since I played the HS at GC though I've always lusted after one...but finding one used is proving to be about as difficult as finding a {censored}ing leprechaun's gold.

Never played the Hamer, but would love to try one given the chance. The Zon is a great bass as well but it's fallen to the bottom of the list for some reason?

And yeah I'm a whiny beyotch for complaining about "having" to make these tough decisions:D

Dan

• Members

sorry for going off topic--

dan, did you ever get the neck on your p figured out?

Sort of. I put on a Gotoh 201 to replace the {censored}ty as Fender "bridge" and now I have nice playability throughout the fretboard. I am going to put some TI flats on it which are a bit larger gauge in hopes that I will be able to put the action a bit lower, but right now it's good. I just bought a fat finger because of the dead spot on the G string though. I figure it already neckdives, might as well add some mass to the headstock and move the deadspot to a less noticeable place.

Dan

• Members

Do what I always do. Make a list of basses you can't live without, then go out and buy something that's not on the list. I bought my Spector after years of lusting for a Geddy Lee. The Geddy Lee was sitting right there, I went in with cash to buy it, but I bought the Spector instead. My wife was totally apoplectic when I came home with a shiny red 5 string after having to listen to me moan about how I had to have the Lee for two solid years.:D

My next bass? I'm like you Dan, here's the short list:

-Bongo 5

-Spector Euro

-Lakland 55-02

-G&L L2500

-Warwick Thumb

What's going to happen is, I'm going to get the $2000 or whatever in my hand, go to the bass store, and buy a {censored}ing Pedulla or some other oddball bass I never even considered buying.:D

I do this with cars, too...

C7

• Members

Do what I always do. Make a list of basses you can't live without, then go out and buy something that's not on the list. I bought my Spector after years of lusting for a Geddy Lee. The Geddy Lee was sitting right there, I went in with cash to buy it, but I bought the Spector instead. My wife was totally apoplectic when I came home with a shiny red 5 string after having to listen to me moan about how I had to have the Lee for two solid years.
:D

My next bass? I'm like you Dan, here's the short list:

-Bongo 5

-Spector Euro

-Lakland 55-02

-G&L L2500

-Warwick Thumb

What's going to happen is, I'm going to get the $2000 or whatever in my hand, go to the bass store, and buy a {censored}ing Pedulla or some other oddball bass I never even considered buying.
:D

I do this with cars, too...

C7

Yeah I think I'm going to head two hours away this weekend to the nearest GC and play some basses and see what grabs me. Basscentral has a F'n gorgeous Stingray HS ltd. blue dawn with matching headstock in...but I'm not sure I want to pluck down 1800.00 on a Stingray just yet.

Dan

• Members

These are all just tools.

...tools with which to express yourself.

Which one does so by getting in the way the least? The job is self expression. Get the best tool for the job. Like others have said, enjoy the ride. Don't let the gear or the gear hype get in the way of you and your music bro. :)

• Members

Dan

Dan,

Spend a few hundred dollars and come to the next Chicago meet. Seriously, except the whorewick, every bass on your list would be present. It would be worth the trip, and I'd like to meet ya. :)

• Members

Stingray HS

Zon Sonus

Hamer Cruisebass

Dan

I currently play a Zon Sonus and Warwick Steamer (orginal, closer to Stage II, than Stage 1) and used to have 2-pickup stringray (Leo Fender production). Don't know much about the other 2.

My current favorite is the Zon Sonus. Most of them are customized, so it's not easy to draw conclustion about all of them. However the graphite neck plays really well and the double Barts sound great. It also has hands-down the most solid low B-string in every bass I've ever played. It's less muddy then the low E on most 4 strings.

The Warwick is great for recording and has very flexible sound wise. Fairly narrow neck is good for small fingers or who are lazy (like me), not so good for slapping though. Indestructable (mid 80s vintage), this one has seen hundreds of gig and I probably adjusted the truss rod only once or twice in the last 10 years.

The MusicMan was a very nice sounding and versatile. Very down-to-earth and smooth and good for Rock, Blues, Soul, etc. A little on the heavy side, so a 5 hour gig gets to be a chore. I sold it only because the neck started warping, otherwise it would still have its place on the wall.

Archived