Recommend a decent low $$$ 5'er, please...

georgestrings

• Members

After avoiding them like the plague for my entire bass playing career, I'm toying around with the idea of adding a 5'er to the fold - mainly just to cover stuff that goes below low C... I'm not planning on playing it all that much - I still plan on covering Low C on up with my 4 bangers - so, we're probably only talking about 4 or 5 songs - so, I'm not planning on playing it all that much, nor acclimating myself to it all that much, NOR spending all that much on it($200 or so, used - maybe up to a max of $250)...

So far, I've looked into:

Ibanez Sr-405 5string Active

or,

OLP Stingray MM 5 clone

Any thoughts on these, or other suggestions???

Just thought I'd add: I play with a pick(and don't slap much at all), and like Jazz width necks - so a narrow neck/tight string spacing is a plus, to me...

- georgestrings

• Members

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I'm definetly not spending $400 on a 5'er at this stage of the game - *if* I end up liking playing one, I might just change over completely from 4s to 5s - then I'd buy a higher end instrument or 2...

One of the reasons I brought up the Ibby 405 is that I can get an SR 405 in decent condition for $170, a nicer SR 405dx(active, 3 band EQ) for $212...

I'm going to look into those Rogues before I buy, though...

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone...

- georgestrings

• Members

You notice nobody has suggested the OLP yet.

I had one and the truss rod let go.

OLP wouldn't cover it under warrenty.

Terrible quality control and no company support.

Get ANYTHING BUT OLP !!!

Thanks very much for mentioning that - I *thought* I remembered hearing something like that - now you've confirmed... OLP is now off my list

- georgestrings

• Members

Actually, I was going to tell you that I played an OLP 5-string while visiting Butch at Bayou Cables. He said that he played a few of them and found one that felt right, then he modded the electronics.

I've got to tell you, soundwise, it was just as good as some of the MM5's I've heard (after Butch's magic, of course!) He only modded the preamp, he left the stock pickup.

So if you like the Music Man sound, maybe that's the way to go.

• Members

Actually, I was going to tell you that I played an OLP 5-string while visiting Butch at Bayou Cables. He said that he played a few of them and found one that felt right, then he modded the electronics.

I've got to tell you, soundwise, it was just as good as some of the MM5's I've heard (after Butch's magic, of course!) He only modded the preamp, he left the stock pickup.

So if you like the Music Man sound, maybe that's the way to go.

Well, I did consider them - mainly because having something that sounds different from a Fender wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me - but g.ghost's tale of woe didn't help that any...

- georgestrings

• Members

Well, I did consider them - mainly because having something that sounds different from a Fender wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for me - but g.ghost's tale of woe didn't help that any...

- georgestrings

I think any vendor in that price range will have a story of woe and despair to go along with it!

If you want to just "try one out" but don't want to lose too much on the deal, consider spending a little more on a used 5-string. You'll spend more, but get a nicer bass to test and since it's used you'll be able to get your money back out if you have to cut and run.

Archived