Way OT: Boating.

rovito

• Members

I just inherited a boat and do not have a clue about boating. Are there any forums like this for boats? Its a 15 foot boat with a steering wheel and a 40 hoarse Evinrude bigtwin motor. I need to know how to winterize it. What it takes for fuel... Any help would be great. Thanks.

• Members

I know there are a few forums for local fishermen(De. Md. N.J.) Most of the forumites are nice enough to give advice based on their experience. I'd say, that it depends on the type of water you plan to boat on/ and if you plan to waterski fish etc.. Above all safety is paramount. I would find the nearest Coast Guard auxillary and have them inspect the boat. ( i'm pretty sure they do it for free. ) A boater safety course is a must and they're free on-line.

Try Bassbarn.com and Saltfish.net these sites are for primarily boaters near the Chesapeake and Delaware Bay, however you may find somethings helpful.

Safe boating to ya!!:thu:

• Members

Sell the boat and buy more bass gear...............boats cost a freaking fortune to run and maintain. Did the person that left it to you like you very much??

Sorry - couldn't help myself!

In all seriousness, if you plan on keeping it and using it then definately do the boater safety course. Not sure what the rule are in the USA but over here you need to be licensed to drive anything that big and the saftey course is mandatory.

another word of advice it to get to know you local boating and accessories shop as you will no doubt get some great advice and be making frequent purchases from them.

another important consideration is where you are going to keep the boat (trailer or moored). If the boat is currently moored you might need to get it anti-fouled once a year to remove barnacles and other marine life from your hull. You'll also need your engine serviced more regularly, particularly if you are using in saltwater.

• Members

I know of a few, but they're designed around home-made boat builders. I do remember, there are plenty groups on line, and finding them with searches wasn't hard. Also, and this is important, boaters feel a brotherhood, and even if you aren't the exact type of member they have a forum built around, they will be more than willing to help with your questions, and guide you to answers.

A few of my favorites:

http://groups.msn.com/SandbarsandDriftwood/shoebox.msnw

http://www.smallsailboats.co.uk/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smallboatbuilding/

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SFDesigncanoebuilders/

http://www.bateau2.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Forums&file=viewforum&forum=1

There are numerous others. Just look around. Many are attached to home-built boat plan pages, so that may be a great avenue to explore. And BTW, welcome to boating! I have a 14' Shell Swifty that sails like a dream for a little single-hander.

Edit:

BTW, YES!

If you can get into a local safe-boaters class, DO IT!!! Coast Guard knows where they are and when, and often sponsors them. So do a number of marinas and boat shops. Even if it makes you feel foolish, do it! Much better than floating belly-up in some friggin river. ;)

• Members

I know there are a few forums for local fishermen(De. Md. N.J.) Most of the forumites are nice enough to give advice based on their experience. I'd say, that it depends on the type of water you plan to boat on/ and if you plan to waterski fish etc.. Above all safety is paramount. I would find the nearest Coast Guard auxillary and have them inspect the boat. ( i'm pretty sure they do it for free. ) A boater safety course is a must and they're free on-line.

Try Bassbarn.com and Saltfish.net these sites are for primarily boaters near the Chesapeake and Delaware Bay, however you may find somethings helpful.

Safe boating to ya!!
:thu:

The USCG Auxiliary is a great free resource. We (yes, I am a member) do perform free vessell examination that basically cover:

1) does the boat meet state and federal regulations.

2) does it have the proper, working safety gear, lights, blowers, spark arrestors, and any other required equipment depending on size and vessel type

3) We are also encouraged to answer questions and share local waterway knowledge and much more... and it is all free!

We also teach classes for new and experienced boaters.

here's a few links:

http://www.uscgboating.org/

http://www.boatingsafety.com/

http://www.safeboatingcouncil.org/

USCG Auxiliary Vessel Examination Website (enter zip code and find a vessel examiner)

sorry for the long post, but if you need more info, just let me know... :cool:

The USCG Auxiliary and the US Power Squadron offer

• Members

I just inherited a boat and do not have a clue about boating. Are there any forums like this for boats? Its a 15 foot boat with a steering wheel and a 40 hoarse Evinrude bigtwin motor. I need to know how to winterize it. What it takes for fuel... Any help would be great. Thanks.

Yes, iboats.com is a good one. fiberglassics.com is another good resource, if it fits the age

what kind of boat is it? If its a Glastron, Carlson, or Conroy let me know - that's my specialty!

• Members

Virtually all boats take unleaded gas just like cars. Some take diesel, but those are generally huge seafaring yachts or working vessels. Because a boat, especially a large one, is often at the mercy of the marina's gas station, most engines will take any grade, but there are exceptions (some high-power engines may require plus or premium). The questions you need to have answered are, is the motor two-stroke or four-stroke? Most outboards are two-stroke, but bigger ones can be four. Inboards have a 50-50 shot at being either, with newer engines over 100hp being more likely to be four-stroke. A two-stroke motor requires two-stroke oil, and that oil will either need to be added to the gas tank when you fill up, or the oil will need to be added to a seperate reservoir, also when you fill up. A four-stroke motor is more like your car, except the unit of measurement for maintenance is hours, not miles. You'll need to change the oil at given intervals, like every 50 or 100 hours.

Winterizing is different between a two-stroke and a four-stroke and dependent on how the engine is cooled. Some are air-cooled, while others use an "open loop" cooling system that takes water from the lake or sea, filters it, runs it through the engine, and dumps it back. Still others use a closed loop system (inboards designed for use in salt water usually do this to avoid corrosion). Normally all it takes is to fully drain the engine and tanks of all gas and oil (which could expand, contract, freeze, goo-ify or eat away at the tanks over a winter of disuse), drain all water from an open loop water cooler (if the engine has a closed loop system, just make sure it's got the right percentage of antifreeze and leave it), disconnect the spark plugs (to prevent condensation forming between the contacts and rusting them out) and disconnect and remove the battery, and put a cover over the top of the boat. Normally, yearly maintenance such as changing any filters, checking belts and hoses, etc is also done ether when you winterize it or before you take it out for the first time in the spring or summer. Any mechanic who does business in boats will be able to winterize your boat, and if you're nice and have the time he can show you what he's doing so you have the option of doing it yourself.

As for learning how to operate it, the coast guard sites listed above are a good place to start. Similar to driving a car, there are warning signs, right-of way rules, and signaling rules you need to be aware of. In general, give way to sailboats and less maneuverable vessels, and always bear either to the right if you're approaching near head-on or overtaking, or towards the stern of the vessel if you're approaching from the side. White bouys with orange stripes are advisories; they usually indicate "slow/no wake" areas, hazards or other no-go areas. Red or green bouys indicate boundaries of a deep water channel (their only real interest to you in a speedboat will be to indicate that bigger cargo or cruise ships might be in the area). Practically any mass-produced boat will have the correct signal lights, you just need to make sure the lights work and use them accordingly. And finally, your boat must have a life jacket for everyone on board, as well as one fire extinguisher. Remember all that and remember to keep your speed under control, and you should have a good first outing.

However, I would keep the boat if you can afford it. Like a car, you'll need to pay for gas, maintenance, storage, and registration, and insurance is usually a good idea; these costs are significant, but if you live anywhere near a good lake, a boat is a great place to be on a weekend and I think, seeing as you don't have to make payments on the boat itself, it's at least worth trying out before winter comes.

• Members

Whatever you do...let me tell you one thing, and i'm dead serious...don't get out on any water, even a Pond, till you fully understand how a (your) boat responds. They don't work like a car or anything on land does. You slap a boat in reverse while moving forward...the boat continues forward till it's momentum is neutralized, then it takes a few seconds to even think about going backwards. It's totally a different World out on the water. Thats the problem with boat "owners" today, they think because they can afford the biggest best boat there is, they just hop on and drive, ignoring the power (and mystery) of WATER. I was brought up on the water, and i know firsthand it ain't no playground as some seem to think.

RESPECT the water it will hurt you.

It's awesome to be out in near complete solitude in the middle of a body of water; just keep in mind the tables could turn in a moments notice while out there.

Take a US CoastGuard approved course, if you aren't familiar with water.

• Members

Virtually all boats take unleaded gas just like cars. Some take diesel, but those are generally huge seafaring yachts or working vessels. Because a boat, especially a large one, is often at the mercy of the marina's gas station, most engines will take any grade, but there are exceptions (some high-power engines may require plus or premium). The questions you need to have answered are, is the motor two-stroke or four-stroke? Most outboards are two-stroke, but bigger ones can be four. Inboards have a 50-50 shot at being either, with newer engines over 100hp being more likely to be four-stroke. A two-stroke motor requires two-stroke oil, and that oil will either need to be added to the gas tank when you fill up, or the oil will need to be added to a seperate reservoir, also when you fill up. A four-stroke motor is more like your car, except the unit of measurement for maintenance is hours, not miles. You'll need to change the oil at given intervals, like every 50 or 100 hours.

Winterizing is different between a two-stroke and a four-stroke and dependent on how the engine is cooled. Some are air-cooled, while others use an "open loop" cooling system that takes water from the lake or sea, filters it, runs it through the engine, and dumps it back. Still others use a closed loop system (inboards designed for use in salt water usually do this to avoid corrosion). Normally all it takes is to fully drain the engine and tanks of all gas and oil (which could expand, contract, freeze, goo-ify or eat away at the tanks over a winter of disuse), drain all water from an open loop water cooler (if the engine has a closed loop system, just make sure it's got the right percentage of antifreeze and leave it), disconnect the spark plugs (to prevent condensation forming between the contacts and rusting them out) and disconnect and remove the battery, and put a cover over the top of the boat. Normally, yearly maintenance such as changing any filters, checking belts and hoses, etc is also done ether when you winterize it or before you take it out for the first time in the spring or summer. Any mechanic who does business in boats will be able to winterize your boat, and if you're nice and have the time he can show you what he's doing so you have the option of doing it yourself.

As for learning how to operate it, the coast guard sites listed above are a good place to start. Similar to driving a car, there are warning signs, right-of way rules, and signaling rules you need to be aware of. In general, give way to sailboats and less maneuverable vessels, and always bear either to the right if you're approaching near head-on or overtaking, or towards the stern of the vessel if you're approaching from the side. White bouys with orange stripes are advisories; they usually indicate "slow/no wake" areas, hazards or other no-go areas. Red or green bouys indicate boundaries of a deep water channel (their only real interest to you in a speedboat will be to indicate that bigger cargo or cruise ships might be in the area). Practically any mass-produced boat will have the correct signal lights, you just need to make sure the lights work and use them accordingly. And finally, your boat must have a life jacket for everyone on board, as well as one fire extinguisher. Remember all that and remember to keep your speed under control, and you should have a good first outing.

However, I would keep the boat if you can afford it. Like a car, you'll need to pay for gas, maintenance, storage, and registration, and insurance is usually a good idea; these costs are significant, but if you live anywhere near a good lake, a boat is a great place to be on a weekend and I think, seeing as you don't have to make payments on the boat itself, it's at least worth trying out before winter comes.

well stated.

My avatar was taken at Stewart Peninsula off Lake Lewisville.

• Members

I work a lot out on boats, here is what I use most often:

7145.jpg

Diesel powered, 10 tonnes.

Others have come up with some good advices, take a course, and take it slow at first. Boating is a lot of fun, so enjoy your boat safely!

• Members

Yeah, the bass boat forum.

• Members

I would sell the sucker quickly. They are expensive to own and operate. I know, I had 2. If you keep it, learn how to safely operate it from A to Z, and make sure everyone wears a life vest before they get in the boat. I've seen someone drown getting into a boat at a launch ramp pier.

• Members

Boats rule. But follow all of the sage advice above. I am currently boat-less (house poor, ya know?
:(
) but at least my folks have this:

safesea_2.jpg

Should be spending some time on her this weekend
:thu:
That's my daughter and mother in the pic.

I have a friend called Snorri, very common name over here :thu:

• Members

You wouldn't believe how long they spent trying to come up with a name. But as soon as they stumbled on Snorri, it was a done deal. Cool back history to the name for a boat.
:cool:

One of my favorite boat names ever was my bro-in-laws fishing boat. He named it "Shudovasker" because he didn't ask my sister/his wife when he bought the boat...:p

• Members

Owning boats ruin peoples lives.

Sell it.

Put the money in an interest bearing account.

Any time you get the URGE to go boating, hire one with the money from that account.

Chances are the account will never be emptied and you wont have the ongoing cost of maintaining and mooring a boat.

Good luck.:wave:

Archived