stupid broken pickup...

shnoogumz

• Members

this is a copy of a thread I made in Guitar Jam, but I thought it'd be suitable here too... :o

I recently went to a store called LA Music to purchase an '82 MIJ Squier Jazz bass. when I brought it home, I noticed the action on the E string was very low and the strap locks were broken, so I brought it in for a set up.

1 week later, the repair man calls me and tells me that the front pickup is broken and the wiring in the knobs is {censored}ed up, and it'll be an extra $150 to fix. now normally when a repair guy tries to charge me that much extra, I go in to have a look at it myself to make sure. however, this guy's a friend of mine so I trust his judgement.

what pisses me off is that the salesman said that he himself took apart the bass to make sure all the wiring was original. what he failed to mention was that it was {censored} :mad: the guy was an idiot anyway. there was a ton of fret noise (which I assumed meant it needed new strings, which I tried to get him to comp), but the guy refused and said it was just the way I was playing, even though none of the other basses I tried made any noise. he also said that Squier doesn't make any new basses other than the ones in the bass packs, which is pure {censored}ing bull{censored}. I'm gonna go in tomorrow and try to make them reimburse my $150.

oh well.. it'll all work out in the end. I'm just pissed that I could've easily avoided spending an extra $150 if the salesman had told the truth and given me a different bass

• Members

Mmmmm... Tough day. Unfortunately, I kind of agree with Kindness, that you were too lenient in your own appraisal. So sorry.

Look, if it helps at all, at 50 I feel it's taken at least 40 of those years to be sufficiently protective of my own interests. Why? Because I WANT to believe the other guy likes me that much, or is that honest, or a fellow boy scout, or whatever.

• Members

I didn't notice the low action on the E because when it was plugged in it wasn't buzzing... and because of not using a strap I didn't notice that the strap locks were broken. and I didn't notice the front pickup was broken because I had it set on the bridge pickup. and in my experience, at least with guitars, fret buzzing has usually been fixed by new strings...

and I may have been part of the transaction, but it is the seller's duty to inform me if the product happens to be broken

• Moderators

Mmmmm... Tough day. Unfortunately, I kind of agree with Kindness, that you were too lenient in your own appraisal. So sorry.

Look, if it helps at all, at 50 I feel it's taken at least 40 of those years to be sufficiently protective of my own interests. Why? Because I WANT to believe the other guy likes me that much, or is that honest, or a fellow boy scout, or whatever.

I like you cookie monster. Send me your Jersey for a cleaning. Honest.

And shnoogumz, I do feel bad that your bass isn't what you expected, but since I know you can get things straight with the store you purchased it from, I took the less coddling approach. :thu:

• Moderators

it is the seller's duty to inform me if the product happens to be broken

Are you sure? I wouldn't be. Lying to you is one thing, but selling a used bass without a warranty generally means you take what you get and buyer beware.

Archived