Jazz or Precision Pickups?

VinesBass

• Members

Go to your local guitar center and play some passive Fenders with JJ, P and PJ setups. Buy the one that sounds best to you. ( I am not saying buy a Fender, but rather buy the setup that sounds best to you)

I own 2 JJs, a P and 2 PJs. If I had to choose one, it would be a JJ. But that is me. A lot of guys are die hard P advocates. Others love the JJ or PJ setup.

What matters is what sounds best to your ears.

All 3 options sound really good.

• Members

Go to your local guitar center and play some passive Fenders with JJ, P and PJ setups. Buy the one that sounds best to you. ( I am not saying buy a Fender, but rather buy the setup that sounds best to you)

I own 2 JJs, a P and 2 PJs. If I had to choose one, it would be a JJ. But that is me. A lot of guys are die hard P advocates. Others love the JJ or PJ setup.

What matters is what sounds best to your ears.

All 3 options sound really good.

I own a JJ, and I really like it, but I always wondered what a PJ would sound like. Because of the music I am into and the kind I like playing. What would you recommend for a funk/rock kind of style?

• Moderators

P/J to me is a killer combo, but funnily enough i can't stand to see it on a fender bass.

I thought I was the only one. I can't explain it to myself but it looks wrong on a Fender, but not anything else. It sounds wonderful all of the time.

• Members

JJ makes sonic sense

the PJ setup is hopelessly out of balance..imho..with STOCK PUPS...!!

i do believe there is a case for the PJ with suitably balanced pups..

for me the JJ can give seamless tonal range and a good variation in the position of getting the most out of the 'hot spot'

if i trade away from my MM...it would be to JJ...albeit with a V/PAN/TONE set up and possibly a retro module for real eq

i feel the little 0.047 cap doesnt really do much for tone and tends to lower output and richness

• Members

I prefer a J/J setup. I like how you can easily get a nice, thick tone, but still with that sharp definition to the notes. Almost...springy? That being said, I still like P bass pickups just fine when I want more thump. I just can't stand the necks on traditional P basses.

I'm also with BOALG and Kindness...P/J pickups just look wrong on Fender basses. ESPECIALLY Jazz Basses. They give a good pickup combo (like others have mentioned, if the pickups are well balanced), but look so wrong on traditional Fender's...

Archived