Preferred DIs for recording?

Magpel

• Members

Hi bass players,

I've used the search function and gleaned some ideas, but I'd like to get a current batch of opinions all in one place, if you're willing to play along.

I am laying down a lot of the bass parts on an Indie-style recording project. I have no really desirable bass recording solution at the moment beyond splitting the signal throuhg an amp and a guitar Pod and then shaping aggressively with plugins.

I'm looking to acquire a very decent DI for bass tracks. I looked at the GT "brick" and consider it the high end, price wise. Sansamp, etc., all in play.

Style varies but is NOT bottom-heavy hard rock. "Vintage" is more on target

Basses used will be a Yamaha BB1100s (hybrid active and passive which I usually use in passive) and a spectorcore 4 fretless (EMG and piezo pups) and sometimes a Fender Mustang bass.

Just as an aside, what is the preferred method for splitting a bass signal when recording?

TIA for your expereinces and recommendations.

• Members

I have a GT brick , it's awesome , I highly recommend it , works great with mics as well , I also have the ART Studio MP V3 which I really like as well , even more then my Demeter if you can imagine that . Last I have a Countryman D.I. which is super clean and you can come out of the speaker out of the amp into the Countryman then into both the cab and the board , so you get all the poweramp tube tone of a amp direct to the board without mic'ing, works great but this has no XLR in . On the lower price range pick up the ART , you could even get a few of them ;) Then there is the Radial , which I don't own but hear nothing but good things about , I am sure a few guys here have them and will chime in .

• Members

Depending on your DI, there should be an "out" and a "thru" which splits the signal for you. Which output is effected and which is not is model specific. Or you could go direct to board, and use an efx send to route to another processor and back to a second track. Or you cold go direct, then send the signal out to a mic'd amp. There's a million ways to do it :)

s

RE: hardware- Dirt cheap but effective- Behringer BDI. Does vintagey thump very well, but is sometimes low in output.

The countryman is the standard (IME) for live DI, but it has no processing ability. Just clean, clear sound.

I use an Aphex Punch Factory compressor as a DI box, that way I can ride the signal going to the board. It has an XLR out and a 1/4" out, so you can split the signal quite easily. And it sounds good on guitars too. And keys. On just about anything that needs compression really :)

The Sansamp is a standard, but one I don't have a lot of experience with. But it must not totaly suck as its been around for years. I like the looks of the Para-acousitc DI better, just because it has a sweepable mid control, vice the top/bottom only sontrols of the BDDI.

I have also recorded excelent parts using :

1. My amps DI, if available

2. A Reverend Drivetrain 2 Dist pedal into a Behringer GDI w/ the 4x12 cab sim engaged

3. Micing an SWR LA10 (tiny) amp.

Just experiment and see what you like.

• Members

The countryman is the standard (IME) for live DI, but it has no processing ability. Just clean, clear sound.

It's a standard for recording studios as well. It's what I've used every time I record on bass. Why would you want processing from a DI?? :confused: Your in a studio, surely there are better means for adjustment than the DI box.

EDIT: I take that back, last time in (June & July) I also mixed in a mic track of my amp and cab. My new amp was so friggin punchy it did make a difference.

• Members

Aguilar DB659. I think any of the DB agies will have that quality. I didn't it's not as warm as my Eden tone was but it's more punchy, and Eden's are punchy to begin with.

Yup! My DB359 has the same traits. I was using an Aggie DB900 DI until I got the 359...since it's basically the same exact DI...but with the ability to have EQ in front of it.

• Members

Yeah, this coming at the end of a long line of upgrades to both my guitar rig and my recording/composing rig, so price is definitely an issue, unfortunately. The Countryman seems like a piece you'll never regret having. Having just dropped quite a bit on a series of software upgrades, I like the thought of a piece you'll never regret having...

But I still have one other option that I'm hoping might turn up golden. Perhaps you guys are familiar with the ADL stuff--pretty high end tube compressors and pres and DIs including the new ADL 600 made in partnership with Presonus. Well, the "AD" in ADL is my neighbor and a childhood friend, and I've asked him if he has any demos, prototypes or B Stock of his tube DIs lying around. He no longer makes them. I had one of the mono DIs here for a while once and it was pretty sweet. Then I had one of his mono compressors here for a while (think LA2A) and it was REALLY sweet. So I'm hoping something comes through there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I just ordered a M-Audio DMP-3 which is a swiss army knife. You can record everything through it from bass to horns to ac. guitar and every type of mike conceivable- most noteworthy ribbon mics because of the +66Db of gain! Just don't hit the included phantom power button by accident...or, goodbye, fancy ribbon.

This all-in-one is going to stay in my studio where pres/DI belong.

Price=$159 Read the reviews at H-C under effects. This is the best value for the buck.

I know this thread is old (8 days and it's on the last page!), but I had to gush...:)

Archived