More on the Michael Anthony saga

bassesofalessergod

• Members

Former VAN HALEN bassist Michael Anthony has released the following update:

"I want to thank everyone for all the support you've shown me during the past months. It's all been pretty crazy, and I just wanted to bring you all up to speed.

"A lot of you have been asking about the upcoming VAN HALEN tour and my response to it. It's not that I'm not touring with VAN HALEN because I'm going out with Sammy [Hagar; former VAN HALEN frontman]. I'm going out with Sammy because I was not invited to do the VH tour. Sammy told me that if I was asked to be part of the VH tour and decided to do it, it would be totally cool, and it would not tarnish our friendship in the least!! Well, it's not to be, and life goes on. I'll still be out there with Sam, and I can't wait to do some partying with all of you.

"One last note from myself to all the VAN HALEN fans out there who will be attending their shows... Wolfgang [Van Halen, new VAN HALEN bassist and Eddie Van Halen's son] is a great kid, so don't judge him too harshly. I'm sure he'll do just fine!!"

A furor erupted online last week after photos of Anthony at the band's official web site were either removed or replaced by an image of guitarist Eddie Van Halen's son Wolfgang, who will play bass on the group's upcoming tour. The photos were restored less than two days later.

VAN HALEN announced the details of its long-awaited reunion tour with original singer David Lee Roth on August 13. The tour kicks off on September 27 in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Pre-recorded tapes will reportedly be used to recreate Anthony's backing vocals on the tour.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There is even more to it.

Report: VAN HALEN Removing Bassist From Songwriting Credits

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 15:38:41 EST

The Pulse Of Radio has issued the following report from Don Kaye:

VAN HALEN may have restored former bassist Michael Anthony's photos to the album cover art on the band's official web site, but it seems the group is still trying to remove Anthony from its history.

According to AntiMusic.com, Anthony's name has been taken off the writing credits for some of the group's music. An email to the site from a Van Halen fan explained, "On every single Van Halen song (with exception to the three new songs on the Best Of Both Worlds compilation), credits have always gone to Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and the lead singer who is featured on the song... However, during the credits of the film Superbad, which features the song 'Panama', the song is only credited to the two Van Halens and (David Lee) Roth! Anthony continues to get snubbed by his former band as they attempt to erase him from the history of the band."

AntiMusic checked the ASCAP database and learned that Anthony's name has been removed from the songwriting credits of the album 1984, on which 'Panama' originally appeared, although apparently he still gets credit on other Van Halen releases.

Anthony was reportedly forced to sign a reduced royalty contract in order to take part in the 2004 reunion tour with singer SAMMY HAGAR, according to Wikipedia.org. Anthony also apparently did not play on the three songs recorded for the Best Of Both Worlds collection.

• CMS Author

There is even more to it.

Report: VAN HALEN Removing Bassist From Songwriting Credits

Posted on Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 15:38:41 EST

The Pulse Of Radio has issued the following report from Don Kaye:

VAN HALEN may have restored former bassist Michael Anthony's photos to the album cover art on the band's official web site, but it seems the group is still trying to remove Anthony from its history.

According to AntiMusic.com, Anthony's name has been taken off the writing credits for some of the group's music. An email to the site from a Van Halen fan explained, "On every single Van Halen song (with exception to the three new songs on the Best Of Both Worlds compilation), credits have always gone to Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, Michael Anthony and the lead singer who is featured on the song... However, during the credits of the film Superbad, which features the song 'Panama', the song is only credited to the two Van Halens and (David Lee) Roth! Anthony continues to get snubbed by his former band as they attempt to erase him from the history of the band."

AntiMusic checked the ASCAP database and learned that Anthony's name has been removed from the songwriting credits of the album 1984, on which 'Panama' originally appeared, although apparently he still gets credit on other Van Halen releases.

Anthony was reportedly forced to sign a reduced royalty contract in order to take part in the 2004 reunion tour with singer SAMMY HAGAR, according to Wikipedia.org. Anthony also apparently did not play on the three songs recorded for the Best Of Both Worlds collection.

I heard this (verbatim, in fact) on the radio yesterday.

That's some f'd up {censored}. Really bad form.

• Members

I'm not gonna buy tickets to any Van Halen "reunion" show without Michael Anthony. Revisionist history never worked for me. I still can't imagine why Eddie is acting this way towards Michael, or what Michael did to deserve it.

In the end, only the guys in the band - current or past - really know the reasons for all this. There's two sides to every story, I guess.

Is HCBF the forum that hates MA or is it the one that likes him? I forget.........

• Members

I too like the DLR-VH.

What's the beef with Anthony? I have not followed it because I am not a real big fan.

I only liked Hagar when he was with Ronnie Montrose. Another incredible lead guitar. :thu: :thu:

In fact, I liked Montrose more than VH.

• Members

regardless of whether you hate him or not everyone bassist would recognize that it is {censored}ed up what they are doing.

for the record, MA gets slagged off on here more often than not.

I never had you pitched as a VH fan, Ely.

You continue to amaze and astound.:thu:

• Members

Well did Michael Anthony actually WRITE any of those songs?

There are a lot of bands where they share songwriting credit even though only one or two guys actually write the music (the Doors come to mind). Most of the time this is done to preserve harmony (see the Police for what happens when all three guys write songs but only one guy actually gets his songs on the record and gets songwriting credit. Yes I know Andy Summers got a few songs on record but they were few and far between).

So, if Anthony didn't write the music or contribute (and judging from the fact that in most Van Halen songs you can't even hear the bass) and he's not going on tour, then maybe Van Halen felt it was time he took the credit he deserved.

Now if you want to talk about bull{censored} screwing around with songwriting credits let's talk about Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney. All of their songs were always credited to Lennon and McCartney despite the fact that each guy often came in with a completed song and the other contributed nothing to it.

So a few years back they were releasing some Beatles anthology or something and McCartney says to Yoko, I wrote "Let it Be" and many other songs WITHOUT John's input. I'd like to put my name FIRST (McCartney and Lennon) on those songs. Yoko refused. Now THAT is bull{censored} songwriting credits.

• Members

DLR-era VH is some of my favorite {censored} ever. in fact it's usually the first thing i look for in one's collection.

but i personally would not attend these shows.

Couldn't agree more. Up to and including Fair Warning, they were one of the best Rock bands of all time. That's all such kick ass {censored}.

But I won't support them now. They're head-case douchebags IMO.

• Members

i think 1984 is as good as Fair Warning and Woman and Children First

True. Forgot about that one. Top Jimmy, Hot for Teacher. Some really good {censored} on that one too.

Diver Down was only so-so IMO though.

Fair Warning is still my personal fave though. Followed by VH2.

Archived