Those of you who drum...

D Aussie

• Members

... what is the trick to hanging on to sticks?

My current and rather inexperienced drummer launches these things around the stage and rehearsal room like a fistful of shuriken!

I cant drum so I'm in no position to offer him advice.

I remember once having a drummer who used this stuff called Gorilla Snot, to help him hold on to his.

Any clues?:confused:

• Members

practice is the key. Tell him to study the dynamics of the stick making the sound loud and not the impact from your hand. John Bonham was a light handed drummer and got all the tone from his technique.

Also tell him to loosen up his grip before the carpal wrecks him. rudiments, rudiments,rudiments will teach him everything - tell him to get George Stone's "Stick Control for the Snare Drummer" - its the bible.

or lessons could help

• Members

Our drummer uses something similar to the gorrilla snot. He has some little chamoi rag that has some sort of grip fluid on it. He wipes it on his hands and has real good grip. Not sure what it is called but i think he buys it from Billy Hydes

Our old drummer doesn't use this and sticks a spaying all over the shop! I was worries I'd loose an eye!

• Members

He's trying too hard. Proper technique will allow him to hit hard without gripping hard and pounding the drums. In the meantime, have him use some of the grip compound that bowlers use; I've tried it and it keeps the stick from simply sliding out of your hand, but man is it weird to have on your hands. It's not really tacky, it just makes your hands no-slip-grip styley.

C7

• Members

It's all about gripping the stick at the balance (or fulcrum) point, which will be different with different sized sticks, and different brands of sticks. It'll come with practice. Not going to get too technical, but your drummer needs to have the right size stick for the style of music he's playing, I assume he already knows that though. :) Still, to lose control of the drumsticks as much as he sounds like he does is pretty crazy. I rarely drop a stick, let alone have one fly across the stage.

I'd recommend he try some unfinished sticks like Pro-Mark Naturals, or Vic Firth Naturals or something comparable. Or (ugh) TAPE.

• Members

It's definitely his technique, and possibly his choice of drumstick as well.

I play fairly hard, but using a more lighthanded technique. I don't slam the drumheads - I let the sticks do their job and hit the head properly. I still get plenty of volume, and I never really fling a stick. I don't use any of this grip crap, I just use good technique. I focus on controlling the stick's movement instead of slamming the drumhead like I see so many "drummers" in music videos doing.

What he needs to do first is work on playing a bit more lighthanded and with more stick control. Once he gets that down, he won't be flinging sticks. As others said, there are plenty of instructional DVD's and books out there.

Next, once he gets his stick control issues down, he needs to find the right set of sticks for himself. Depending on what he plays, he may want a light stick or a heavy stick. I use something in the middle - lately some Vic Firth 5A's. Still a bit thinner and light, but thick enough to give a good volume and have good balance.

• Members

yup. i have never had a problem launching sticks

Same here. I've literally only launched a stick twice. Once it just fell to the ground near the high-hat, and the other it came within about a half inch of absolutely drilling my Jaguar that was sitting in it's stand about 5 feet away.

Both times happened thanks to me being careless or not paying attention - and that almost gave me a huge dent in my main guitar. Now I'm even more careful.

Archived