The Left Handers Lament (Rant Content)

Jim-Bass

• Members

Over the past 18 months I've sold 3 basses I had, bought 2 new ones, each of which I had extra work done on .....this is how left handers get to try different basses ....we have to find them and buy them!

I :love: being left handed but to think of right handers who can walk into a music store, try all the different models, pick the colour....you guys don't know how lucky you are!

This is why I rave about my Ric. It's more than just a Ric...it's a rarity.

Here Ends the Rant.

• Members

I do everything left handed except play a bass,Golf and Bat.

I shoot a bow/rifle/pistol, write, weld, hammer a nail ect plus I am also left eye dominant.

does that make me ambedextrious?

yes, I'm the same: bat, golf right handed. I play tennis left handed and my strongest shot is the backhand - most people find that needs work...it was natural to me. Almost all left handers are ambidextrous to a small or large extent, whereas fewer right handers are at all. It's because almost everything is designed for right handers. When I use a shovel or a broom, it makes no difference which way I use it, but I know some right handers who can only use them in a right handed fashion.

I trained myself to use the computer mouse with my right hand, and now I'm just as good if not better than my left. Not many right handers would even think of swapping the mouse over. 'Why?' they would say ...I can tell you, at work I doubled productivity: writing whilst using th mouse is an asset

• Members

yes, I'm the same: bat, golf right handed. I play tennis left handed and my strongest shot is the backhand - most people find that needs work...it was natural to me. Almost all left handers are ambidextrous to a small or large extent, whereas fewer right handers are at all. It's because almost everything is designed for right handers. When I use a shovel or a broom, it makes no difference which way I use it, but I know some right handers who can only use them in a right handed fashion.

I trained myself to use the computer mouse with my right hand, and now I'm just as good if not better than my left. Not many right handers would even think of swapping the mouse over. 'Why?' they would say ...I can tell you, at work I doubled productivity: writing whilst using th mouse is an asset

Adapt and overcome:thu:

• Members

You suck at ranting! :mad:

Yeah, I always read everything I can on a bass or guitar before I purchase. Every music store seems to have those $1000+ basses on the wall, then that one, lone $189 lefty. We never get to try out the good stuff. But, research makes the transition less painful. I have purchased two basses from southpaw guitars in Houston, TX, where I walked in, found what I wanted, and left with bass in hand. But, that is a good 8-hour drive each direction, and I don't get to Houston much...the suck is strong there.

I know what you mean about that one, special bass. Mine happens to be a Carvin LB75, which I purchased new some 14 years ago. I have gone through an L2500, and I have an MTD Kingston, Alembic Orion, and G&L SB-1, but that one bass keeps calling my name for live use. It does everything I want, and I know how to get the sound out of her. I could see selling my G&L and even my Alembic, but the Carvin is here to stay. No rhyme or reason to it, but it's a keeper.

• Members

Over the past 18 months I've sold 3 basses I had, bought 2 new ones, each of which I had extra work done on .....this is how left handers get to try different basses ....we have to find them and buy them!

I
:love:
being left handed but to think of right handers who can walk into a music store, try all the different models, pick the colour....you guys don't know how lucky you are!

This is why I rave about my Ric. It's more than just a Ric...it's a rarity.

Here Ends the Rant.

I want to buy a lefty cheap bass and learn how all over again...

• Members

Tell me about the Hofner (copies?). For some unknown reason, and against all my better judgment, I want one.

The blonde one is a Hofner 5000/1. The sunburst is a Jay Turser 500/1 knockoff. They both kick ass, although the Hof is lighter, more resonant, and is capable of a somewhat greater range of tones than the JT. It also has quite a chunky neck, as it is a 1-piece. I dig them both!

hof_turser_out.jpg

• Members

I do everything left handed except play a bass,Golf and Bat.

I shoot a bow/rifle/pistol, write, weld, hammer a nail ect plus I am also left eye dominant.

does that make me ambedextrious?

Nope. To be ambidexterous means to be able to do a given activity or given activities with both hands competently.

Sounds like you're actually mixed-handed.

• Members

Another proud lefty in the building! How true it is, the disappointing feeling you get when you walk into the major music stores and you see the variety of bass brands and colors... and that one or two lonely $200.00 lefty leftovers. Time to network lefties! You may be tired of it and someone else may be ready for it! Buy sell or trade! Post it!

Lefties also check out: www.adirondackguitar.com for variety and good pricing! Good Luck!

My Lefty Collection:www.dreamregime.net/id3.html

Archived