Warwick

Sharp Teeth

• Members

What's your opinion on them?

Right now I have a Fender Jaguar, and although I really love the feel of it (the thin, lacquered neck), I don't like the controls.

I really want to get a Corvette Double Buck. I was thinking about five string.

I'm sure they have other, better models, but I haven't tried any, and the prices are a lot higher. I played a regular four-string Corvette, and I really liked the feel of it. Anyway, I was wondering what you folks thought about the comparisson between the regular corvette vs. the double humbucker version, and the feel of the necks between the four and five strings.

I'd also ask about the neck-through, as well, but that's way beyond my budget...

• Members

I love my Corvette Standard 5-string. But if you like thin necks, the Corvette may not be for you. Make sure you try out a fiver before you buy one. I like the neck profile quite a lot, but lots of people describe them as baseball bats and think they're too chunky.

• Members

For what reasons?

Tough to say really, and by all means, don't take my reply as gospel for your choice. Maybe I was just overwhelmed with the different tonal variations you can get with that set-up? I personally felt the JazzMan version had more punch to it, more of a growly sound that I liked. That being said, I'm sure with a better amount of time I could've found the "sound" on the $$. Aesthetically speaking as well, I find the $$ and $$ Music Man's etc... to be too much pick-up and not enough wood.

• Members

Too heavy.

Nothing a good guitar strap can't alleviate.

Play as many of the Warwick models as you can, no matter the price range. They're all wildly different from each other in tone and feel, so you'll get a better idea of what you like. Myself, I'm just not a fan of two of the Musicman style pickups; the Jazzman's pickup config is probably the most versatile that you will get and still retain some of the instrument's natural characteristics instead of hearing just pickups and strings.

I have no problem with my Corvette 5-string neck. It is a bit thicker and beefier, but after about five minutes playing on it, you should be fine. The Streamer 5-string neck I had was bigger (it almost reminded me of an upright bass neck), but nothing that really had me say "Man, this is tough to play."

• Members

I love my Corvette FNA 5'r (single humbucker), but I can attest to the added punch of the $$. I am currently gassing for a neck-through $$ 5'r, and I might make that my first major purchase after I graduate.

The prices are deceiving with Warwicks, as a large portion of the price is dependent on the woods used, and the build setup. Corvette $$'s, Dark lords, Standards and Prolines are all single-wood bodies, allowing for easier (and cheaper) production than the Jazzman, NT and FNA basses, which utilize multiple woods in the body.

Thumbs, Vampyres, Streamers, Infinities, and Katanas run more expensive because the bodies are either arched or bevelled.

I don't think this at all hinders the bass, in fact, I prefer the $$ to my FNA, even though the FNA is technically a higher-line bass...

• Members

Had a Corvette Standard for a few years and I really dug it. Really nice, woody and snarly tone with punch that'd make your eyes bleed at 50 paces. The *only* reason why I sold it and moved on to something else is the neck dive. The headstock always wanted to head to the floor. Not a prob if you don't wear your bass to high but it just didn't sit on me all that well. Loved the bass though.

• Members

Had a Corvette Standard for a few years and I really dug it. Really nice, woody and snarly tone with punch that'd make your eyes bleed at 50 paces. The *only* reason why I sold it and moved on to something else is the neck dive. The headstock always wanted to head to the floor. Not a prob if you don't wear your bass to high but it just didn't sit on me all that well. Loved the bass though.

I have found that this problem is totally dependent on the bass itself. I have played a few warwicks that felt like kamakazi's, and I've played just as many others (like mine) that are fairly well balanced. I think the density of the woods is mostly the culprit in this case. All the more reason to PLAY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT! :thu:

Archived