Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

VinesBass

• Members

Okay, so I am saving up for a new bass. And one of the basses I was looking at was a Geddy Lee jazz bass. Does anyone here own one? And if you do, can you tell me what you get out of it. What are the pickups like, how aggressive can it sound, how does it go with playing soft? And so and and so forth.

• Members

In my opinion, the Geddy does not sound much different from any other Fender passive jazz bass. What you're getting is MIJ quality and consistency, and one of the thinnest necks in the bass world. All at a pretty good price.

You ought to try and play one if you can. The neck is thin enough that some people don't like it.

Again just my opinion.

• Members

I have been looking at the Geddy Lee Jazz bass for awhile. Another basist I met also told me about Carvin basses that could really play well.

The Geddy is nicer than the Carvin, and you'll actually be able to sell it if you decide you want something different.

Strangely, the only Geddy's I've seen on stage in Denver have been in the hands of punk rockers. It's got a very clear, biting tone that works really well for hard rock and punk.

C7

• Members

You guys kill me with this glossy neck scenerio. It's such a non-issue as to question the mental capacity of those who nix the GL based on it's neck finish. I mean, I realize a pad of 0000 steel wool has too many moving parts for some but would you really want to weigh their opinion when it comes to deciding on a particular Bass model over another?

• Members

the GL is a great bass. its built like a tank. the neck is super thin and you feel like you fly over the strings. you can set the action very low.

the P/U 's are nothing special but are very clear and defined with the right amount of low and high.

you can play it hard and get that aggressive tone and then play light and smooth for a sweet blues line.

the best value for a Fender bass on the market in my opinion.for $700 bucks you can have a bass that will last you a lifetime.

• Members

You guys kill me with this glossy neck scenerio. It's such a non-issue as to question the mental capacity of those who nix the GL based on it's neck finish. I mean, I realize a pad of 0000 steel wool has too many moving parts for some but would you really want to weigh their opinion when it comes to deciding on a particular Bass model over another?

I realize a pad of 0000 steel wool has too many moving parts

LOL

• Moderators

For some it makes a difference. Oil and wax or french polishing are far superior feeling neck finishes for me. Taking steel wool to a glossy finished neck will never achieve that feel. I have basses with all types of finishes so it would never be the reason I didn't get a particular bass, but it is a factor weighing against the GL in my book.

• Members

Man, am I the only one around here who likes glossy necks?

Anyway I had a GL once, loved it, sold it for financial reasons, and was kicking myself in the ass ever since. So about six months ago I picked up a Jag, and I like that even more than I liked the GL.

• Members

Man, am I the only one around here who likes glossy necks?

Anyway I had a GL once, loved it, sold it for financial reasons, and was kicking myself in the ass ever since. So about six months ago I picked up a Jag, and I like that even more than I liked the GL.

No you arent.

the Gloss Poly neck is real nice.

• Members

Perhaps it's not that people are so much stupider than you are that they can't operate steel wool, perhaps it's that they don't feel like risking neck problems...

It's not a "non-issue" to anyone who knows the basics of neck woods.

Stripping the finish off of a maple neck can be a serious no-no. Maple necks need to be finished to prevent warping and the Geddy neck is particularly susceptible due to it's famously shallow profile.

• Members

Perhaps it's not that people are so much stupider than you are that they can't operate steel wool, perhaps it's that they don't feel like risking neck problems...

It's not a "non-issue" to anyone who knows the basics of neck woods.

Stripping the finish off of a maple neck can be a serious no-no. Maple necks need to be finished to prevent warping and the Geddy neck is particularly susceptible due to it's famously shallow profile.

Wowzers! KK posted something bass related! :eek:;)

• Members

Well KK then you understand that using 0000 steel wool to take the gloss off of a maple neck won't take enough off to make a difference and works beautifully. In fact, I've finished many a maple neck in lacquer,(much thinner and softer than polyurethane paints), and still am able to dull the finish on the back without problems. You should try it sometime.

• Members

Well KK then you understand that using 0000 steel wool to take the gloss off of a maple neck won't take enough off to make a difference and works beautifully. In fact, I've finished many a maple neck in lacquer,(much thinner and softer than polyurethane paints), and still am able to dull the finish on the back without problems. You should try it sometime.

And how long have you had such basses? It's not like a neck warps overnight or even in a year or two. It can be a quite gradual process.

Further, climate, playing patterns, and even how much a particular bassist's hands sweat can make a significant difference.

As for your contention that steel wool won't take enough of the finish off to compromise the moisture protecting qualities, I (and a great many others) disagree. But you're more than welcome to treat your maple necks how you wish.

Archived