The Quietest I Have Ever Played...

ezstep

• Members

...was last night. The lead singers/lead guitarist/acoustic guitarist and I (three people total) do several semi-acoustic gigs...about 15-20 per year. It is amazing how full it sounds, and we have three-part vocal harmony on nearly every song. Plus, the nuances are great when there are only a few of you.

Last night we played in a restaurant. Good gig. Great food. But the owner kept asking us to turn it down "just a bit." We turned down the mains, which turned everything down but me on bass. I played with the channel at 9:00 and the main at about 10:00 or so, not running through the p.a. VERY QUIET. I could hear the acoustic guitarist's pick on the strings...not from the monitor, but from him actually hitting the strings....:eek: TOO QUIET! However, our wives, our worst critics, said everything was balanced well and the overall sound was good.

All-in-all, the restaurant served 440+ diners, which is a record for them (outside Mother's Day). The owner was very happy and wants us back a.s.a.p., which will be late November if we can swing it. We got paid and got fed seafood platters, too!!!

That is the absolute quietest I have ever played and the quietest the band has ever played.

• Members

One rock band I was with played lots and lots of wedding receptions and corporate gigs (Christmas parties, etc.). We had BIG speakers (Peavey 3020HT with 2x15, 2x10, and two separate horns per cabinet) which sounded very full at any given volume. We could cut everything down and sound quite good. This was not the same band. We actually put two 1x12 monitors on poles last night for mains. Two guitars and three vocals went through the p.a., and the fiddle player came along, so she went in, too. I was impressed that wifey said that it sounded pretty good, considering that the bass was "barefoot."

• Members

I used to do a restaurant gig at the beach, and we'd be playing so quietly, as quiet as a drummer (a good one) can get.... it was nuts... I don't really know why the manager wanted a band if she wanted it that quiet, but the people loved it... Combine the fact that i had a very full gigging schedule and had to run to another gig right after, I started just bringing my bass, a cable and a DI.... as much as I don't like to go direct, it worked, and meant that I could pack up and walk away in

Archived