How Were the Gigs Last Night?

lyricpoet

• Members

We played at the Norwich, VT town hall- pretty cool place as it's right across the Connecticut river from Dartmouth College, so we had about 40 people.

And it was really the debut of our new band-revised line-up and sound.

Samson- Drums, cajon, bells, whistles, trashcan, etc.

Troy- Guitars (elec.+acous.) into a 100 watt Peavy with a slew of effects and a Boomerang!

lyricpoet- "A" jade bass 4, Zon 5, Moog Little Phatty, Dave Smith Polyevolver, JoMoX XBASE999, Vermona Retroverb and 20+ more pedals run through a Mackie VLZ1202.

PA and engineering provided by Hanover Strings.

Three 30 minute sets- all free improvisation. 2nd set was if not the best-certainly the wildest. We all unplugged and led the crowd outside while God-fearing thunder and lightening blazed through the night sky about 20 miles away. All those negative ions gave us some serious energy.

Amount paid= $0, although the town arts council paid for Hanover Strings rental and time.

It's taken me 27 of my 46 years to have the balls to get out there and play this kind of music and keep the audience interested. If I never get paid- well, that'll really suck- we have five more gigs left for 2007- I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I'd like us to play in Boston or NYC, but then we'd have to get paid, plus I think we need many more gigs under our beltbefore that happens.

Sorry to rant:blah:- I'm just on cloud 9 over this gig.:love:

HCBF-ites, how'd the weekend go?

• Members

Meh, I'd have rather skipped this one actually. On the plus side we had the best sound we've had yet due to reposition and redirecting our amps. I'm afraid I'm going to have to address a timing/rhythm/groove issue with the drummer though. Could be the end. :(

• Members

Friday night we did a big party in Blackwell OK. Had to carry all our gear and pa up 2 1/2 flights of stairs since the elevator was broke. That sucked real hard. The show was great!

Saturday night was in Woodward OK. this is our "good" gig. only 130 ppl. But had a very good time.

• Members

pretty good gig. i have only been with these guys for about 2 weeks. i only goofed up one part but noone seemed to notice.

these kids got up after us and i was really impressed. they were all 16. they had keys (also a keetar), one singer/sax/guitar/percussion, another singer/trumpet/guitar/percussion, drums, and bass.

• Members

One of my side project bands did a last minute opening slot for a top band in the Syracuse area - we didn't make much money($100 plus drinks), but we rocked out a large crowd, and gained some decent exposure... We must've done pretty well - the main act all thanked us for coming out, and said they wanted to use us in the future - they play some pretty high profile gigs... Oh, and we used their backline - so no gear had to be moved...

- georgestrings

• Members

Sat in for the last gig of a band that is breaking up because some members particularly the bass player were pissed because they put all the work into learning all these tough songs and they didn't gig enough. Songs like Steely Dan's FM, Green Earing, Jack of Speed, Josie and Reelin in the Years. Several of the members are in other bands and so he was pissed because the other bands are working more, so the bass player refused to cover the last gig. His rep is toast now.

Playing in other bands is just a fact of life here. Getting mad because other players and bands work more just makes you look stupid. You have just keep putting yourself out there and can't expect others to always book for you. Also getting pissed because you have to woodshed a bunch is just asinine. Nobody is getting rich playing in bands, so if you are in it for the money your in the wrong business. I look at everything I do for any of the 3 groups I play with as an opp to expand my ability. It's working too. Jumping in a doing the gig has done great things for my press and everyone in the band said I did great. Even though I got lost a couple of times pretty bad. The guitar player said he would like for me to sub when his bassist can't play for his jazz trio. They typically get $100+ per date. It was a tough gig and I had to practice my ass off learning those tunes but I want to be able to and will gladly do that again...it will pay off in more ways than one.

• Members

I played friday and saturday night at the "Elite" in Watervliet MI, otherwise known as Hooterville usa. A pretty small place, but we had a full house both nights, about 150 people. www.lindseylane.com if you want to check it out. We each made around 150.00, which is pretty much the normal earnings for this area. We have a pretty portable pa and lights, nothing to major. We can set up in 90 minutes, and tear down in 60 and in the trailer. The tough part is getting home at 3 am, and getting up at 7am to go run sound for church. Its tough to listen for feedback when your ears are ringing from the night before, not to mention staying awake.

• Members

Excellent! We got hired by a group that races Hobie Cats. A ton of people were there, all of them middle aged white middle to upper middle class. Going into the gig we were pretty pessimistic but man, those guys know how to party! All four sets, everyone was up and dancing. We tried to knock off at 1:00 but they wouldn't let us. Finally got done at 1:30 and home at about 3. Fun stuff though!

• Members

Rikshaw- great picture- nice bass.

I played a popular place out in the boonies- had a good crowd quite a few good lookin ladies- got paid and had a couple beers- one of our singers wasn't real healthy and we had to skip a couple tunes which pushed us to the limit of our repertoire. Flubbed the beginnings of a couple tunes we haven't played in a while to make up for the skipped tunes. The venue owner wants us back once a month, so I guess we did okay !!

• Members

I wanted to bump this because I forgot to include a conversation I had with an older fellow a few weeks ago.

He's a drummer who lives in Brattleboro now- used to play all over, but always kept it no bigger than the club/bar scene.

He said he gets the same money now that he did in the late 60s/70s- $100 per member.

My first gig was in 1983- we all got $75 each and I just did a gig Saturday night gratis! (although as I described it was emotionally well worth it).:)

HCBF agree? We haven't gotten a raise in 30+ years? :mad:

Archived