to Poweramp or not to Poweramp?

Azz301

• Members

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

A very close friend of mine just landed a job (national marketing manager!!) with a very large pro audio distributor. They've got all sorts of stuff, from mixers, monitors, recording gear - and power-amps.

I've had my heart set on the GBE1200, but the prices I'd be able to get a poweramp for are ridiculous! Do I go for the GBE1200, or get a Bass PODxt Live, and run it into the power amp???

All I initially wanted was an Aphex Punch Factory, running into my GBE1200... but after playing with the PODxt Live, I was getting flooded with ideas!!

So.... many.... possibilities!!!

Is there anything I should look out for with power-amps? are there any features it should have for a bass?

• Members

You should base that answer on what tone you're after. If the tone of the GBE is it, then that's the answer. If you prefer the Pod, or any other bass preamp, then a seperate poweramp is the answer. Figure that out first and then decide on a specific poweramp. Personally I think you'd be clinically insane to choose a Pod over a GBE1200, but that's just an opinion.;)

But, here's a couple things I learned with my old pre/power rig. Decide on what cabs you're going to use and how you want to run them. You will have to know if you are always going to run in dual mono or bridged, since there will be limits on impedence. Some poweramps cannot be bridged to 4 ohms, and if you are going to run two 8 ohm cabs you couldn't use that bridged. In that case you'd need enough watts in each channel to handle the job for each cab seperately at 8 ohms. You are going to have to check the input voltage requirement of the poweramp and compare it to the pre you will be using. They're not always the same but you'll need to match that up to get full use of the amp, or prevent causing problems. You may find that you need special cables made for certain poweramps in bridge mode, like QSC. Make sure your rack works with the amps fan or you may have overheating issues. Lots of things to consider...

• Members

I'd diff say go the processor of choice with nice hifi power amp running stereo to nice hifi cabs. Pderfect solution to recording (sound out of processor is your ready for recording voice), and that goes to nice stereo power amp and speaker rig. of course for a lot of gigging can go processor to venues Pa and leave the power amp and speakers at home unless just brought for nice personal stage monitor.

• Members

OK, that has just turned me right off using a poweramp. Too much for brain to handle. :freak:

I'm an advocate of plug n play. Otherwise, :arg: happens.

I could always run the POD into the GBE1200.... :idea:

The synth-bass stuff on there was insane, some of it was very dark & industrial sounding. I got some ideas for a few whacked-out bass solos. :evil:

• Members

OK, that has just turned me right off using a poweramp. Too much for brain to handle.
:freak:

My work here is done.:D

Seriously though, a GBE is the definition of plug and play. Plug in whatever cabs you want, it'll run all day long.:cool:

Archived