OT: Old school computer nerds..... Remember the PS/1???

Funkee1

• Members

Not the Playstation...... The IBM PS/1? The computer that was supposed to revolutionize the industry (and put Macs out of business forever???)
:D

ibm_ps1.jpg

i had one in my office doing accounts with sage..

iirc it was a 20Mb mem..

when i studied we used 5" floppies and dos 3.2

• Members

Oh yeah... I remember those. And IIRC, they did gain marketshare over Macs because they were shipping with Windows 3.0 at one time.

That was still back in the days of the Microsoft/IBM union. Then every tom dick and harry started shipping their pc's with Windows 3.1, and as the old proverb goes... the rest is history.

I don't remember them going after the Mac market.

Well, I don't really know how much of a "market" there was. I mean, IBM and MS were putting out business machines. Apple was more popular in the home. But it wasn't like it is now. The home market (especially) was much more evenly split between several manufacturers - Commodore being the biggest at one point. Microsoft decided they needed to compete "graphically" with Apple... and here comes Windows - which was the successor to DosShell.

Anyone remember DosShell? That thing was kinda cool. Much more workable than the first few generations of Windows. But it wasn't a true graphical interface they way we know them today.

I even messed around with "Geos" on the Commodore for a little bit. Man, was that thing a hunk of {censored} from what I remember.

• Members

Mmm...Dos Shell. The magic gateway to Nibbles and Gorilla Gorilla (or whatever it was called). However I preferred Karatika, which we played on the Apple IIe's that our school bought with Campbell's soup labels. They replaced the Commodore 64 we used previously...for games.

Good memories (even if I'm not all that old).

• Members

I still have my
KIM-1
that I got in 1976.

Kim-1-computer.jpg

In the late '70s I had one of these minis in a big rack along with a 2.5MB 3346 disk, ADDS Consul 980 terminal, Centronics printer and a ASR-33 TTY.

ga.jpg

Why not tell the younger kids in the forum what exactly this thing did for you?

• Members

Man my first computer was a Wang. That thing sucked hard. (and I am not joking either)

I didn't get a computer until they were all coming out with windows 3.x on them.

My friend had a comodore 64 back in the day, I was hella jealous.

The only things that I remeber about apple/mac was the oregon trail game.

• Members

How about using this to navigate your computer?

MS-DOS_Shell.png

I did most stuff with the command prompt. But DosShell was a bit better for certain file-level functions over Windows 3.x.

I liked Norton Commander or Volkov Commander for that type of navigation. Tab, arrow keys and enter key - pretty speedy, especially with a split window.

This is ALL new stuff though. OLD school is Tiny Basic on an 8080 system. PaleoPCs used handmade stuff from "The TV Typewriter Cookbook" or a mutant TeleType terminal. :eek:

I don't miss that stuff much. :rolleyes:

Archived