My frist pedal build (with pics and video)

funkrockfreedomfighter

• Members

A few months ago I mentioned somewhere that I purchased a Large Beaver (Big Muff) kit through build your own clone, a company that specializes in making awesome kits for DIY-ers. I finally came across the time to build it and after four days of hard work, lots of crying, and determination, I finally finished it. The following pictures are not for the weak of heart.

Here we have all the parts laid out on my work area. I used a cheap Radio Shack soldering station, RS solder, and RS "helping hands" to build this pedal.

largebeaver001ns0.th.jpg

Here is the naked circuit board. Look, he's not wearing any components! Tee hee hee. Notice everything is nicely laid out on the PCB (printed circuit board). Instructions can be found online for the build and are generally easy to follow.

largebeaver005eh5.th.jpg

Here is a shot through the magnifying glass on the helping hands. I have lots of resistors in place for soldering.

largebeaver008lh7.th.jpg

Here is a different angle of the same shot.

largebeaver012un5.th.jpg

This is the circuit board with all the components in place. Now it's time to wire in the switches, ins/outs, power, led, and batter snap.

largebeaver013yw2.th.jpg

Here is the back of the PCB at this stage.

largebeaver014kq5.th.jpg

Alright, now that everything is soldered in place it should work right?

largebeaver016ms9.th.jpg

• Members

{censored} no! {censored} no!:mad::mad::mad:

largebeaver017ak5.th.jpg

I needed a break. Here is the view outside my parents house in the Central Coast of California.

largebeaver030te0.th.jpg

Back to work! I couldn't figure out what the issues were so I decided to put the guts inside the pedal and see if that would make it magically work. Did it? Nope.

http://img338.imageshack.us/content.php?page=done&l=img338/8594/largebeaver022nu2.jpg&ul=quickload

There were many reasons why it didn't work for a few days. Most notably is my poor soldering skills. For example, my 1st attempt at the switch...

largebeaver024qv1.th.jpg

Gross! I resoldered that damn switch about 3 times. Then I resoldered some more stuff. I spent three days resoldering stuff and troubleshooting, but finally, I got a happy pedal :)

largebeaver31sm0.th.jpg

Here is a youtube clip I made of me running through the pedal. If you want specifics, just ask! I'll make another video if you all want.

• Members

My awesome internet connection (dial up) would take forever to check out the video.

But how does it sound? Does it retain the lows? Any mods?

Yo.

Check out the video for sound. It does a pretty good job of retaining the lows. They get to be pretty boomy up until 12 o'clock then after that they settloe down.

I do plan to mod it, but before that I need to enjoy it a little longer before I {censored} it up again :). Honestly, I'd like to add a blend knob first. Then I might go about changing the low end, maybe I could make it less boomier in the low end. This is my first build so I'm starting to learn about how this all works.

• Members

Check out the video for sound. It does a pretty good job of retaining the lows. They get to be pretty boomy up until 12 o'clock then after that they settloe down.

I do plan to mod it, but before that I need to enjoy it a little longer before I {censored} it up again
:)
. Honestly, I'd like to add a blend knob first. Then I might go about changing the low end, maybe I could make it less boomier in the low end. This is my first build so I'm starting to learn about how this all works.

Awesome. Keep me (us) posted if you play with the wiring. I'll probably be doing this same thing some day.

Yo.

Archived