How much would you pay for a CD from a band you barely know?

catphish

• Members

depends on if its new in a case or used with sum pecker tracks on it

Even the new ones have pecker tracks. We thought it would make us stand out.

EDIT: Honestly, I don't actually know what pecker tracks are, and if my pecker was leaving "tracks" I'd go see a doctor.

• Members

$12 is about the going rate for the big name, highest production CD's. Of course it's apple's and oranges with locally produced low budget records, but those should be less. I'd only go up to about $8 for a local band CD personally. For the full retail rate of more professionally done albums and a CD that 'sounds' less well produced, I'd feel I got jipped. I'm all for supporting the local bands but there still need to be a realistic price on the product. $10 to $12 is too high.

• Members

I voted for $10. It's even and a fair price for a well done CD for an unsigned group. I'd pay that if I liked the music and so will your market. I've seen some charge $15 but they always have a good turn out at their gigs and their gigs are a good enough show to stir people to buy. I've seen signed groups charge $20.

• Members

anybody can get free music anywhere. if you charge $12+ and you are unknown. I mean really unknown, you will be LUCKY to sell 100 and thats assuming you have 100 friends/family members.

dont you want as many people as possible to hear your stuff?

$5 guarantees sales.

You should do $8 t-shirt with free CD

That's certainly one point of view, and it's kind of what I thought until I started talking to people who've done it and been successful doing it, about it.

Yes we want as many people as possible to hear our stuff, and they can hear our stuff for free. We give away recordings of shows at our shows. Our shows are on archive.org where they can be downloaded. This is different, it's a studio album. We want as many people to buy the album as we can get, but not at the cost of making it perceived as low value.

• Members

I've never paid more than $8 for a CD at a show, even from bands who have distro through Best Buy and the like.

From an unknown band, $5 at a show would be typical.

I often have, and will continue to pay $10 or so for CDs at shows to help support broke-ass touring bands. Distro through Best Buy doesn't always mean wealthy rockstar.

My vote is $10-12 online and $10 at the show. This is assuming it is a good CD. If it is garbage, you should give it away with 2 quarters and a letter of apology.

Also, 72 minute CD is a lot better than a 30 minute CD. Don't shortchange yourself.

• Members

anybody can get free music anywhere. if you charge $12+ and you are unknown. I mean really unknown, you will be LUCKY to sell 100 and thats assuming you have 100 friends/family members.

dont you want as many people as possible to hear your stuff?

$5 guarantees sales.

You should do $8 t-shirt with free CD

Selling CDs for $5 is a far cry(Rush pun) from giving them away for free.

Who is going to cover manufacturing costs for my next batch of CDs??? Seriously. I worked hard, saved, and EARNED my basses, rig, and what little recording gear I had left to record, mix and master my solo project. That's not counting the time(re. years of development of my craft) I put into the project. Is one measley dollar per track that out of line?

Archived