How much would you pay for a CD from a band you barely know?

catphish

• Members

So if you haven't caught on yet. Our first album is about to be done. I'll probably set up an account on CD baby to sell them until we get signed to our fat multi million dollar contract.

I'm trying to determine how much to sell them for. We don't really give a {censored} about making money, but don't want to go broke either.

My first first inclination was $10. But I see on CD baby lot's of people selling for less and also much more.

How much would you pay for a CD from a band you either don't know at all, or hardly know?

FYI, the CD is 10 tunes and 72 minutes long.

• Members

Probably 8 or 9 bucks, but at a show I'd like to buy one for less (like 5$), since I already paid a cover to get in.

I still haven't heard it yet, I need to steal it back from SARios.

:) let me know what you two think. You're the only people outside the band (and our SO's) who've gotten a copy. we're mastering next week! Wooo hooo.

• Members

My band has this delima, as well. For CD baby, I didn't think too much about it, though. $10, I think. :idk:

For shows, though, we try to keep prices low...like too low, perhaps. We fear we are giving the idea that our crap is crap. Which, who am I to argue?

:D

• Members

I bring $10-15 to shows so I can buy a CD if I like the band. I expet to pay $10. Less than that and I'd wonder if it was an EP or poorly recorded or something.

You guys aren't desperate. $10-12 is a good range.

• Members

Depends on how much I like it. If you have some clips posted that I really dig, I would pay ~ $10.00

If I like it, but I'm not crazy about it, then $8

CD baby does post clips....2 mins of each song.

$4 per CD for their services seems high IMO.

• Members

I've got my price set at $1/song...charged
to the customer.
Whatever percent the shop owner or CDBaby requires, I take the hit on.

/

/

/

You are actually what prompted this. I've been listening to your solo disk, and it's killer. I noticed you had it set for $8, which seemed low so I started sniffing around.

Do you think $4 per CD going to CDbaby is a fair deal?

• Members

:)
let me know what you two think. You're the only people outside the band (and our SO's) who've gotten a copy. we're mastering next week! Wooo hooo.

:thu:

Cool. I will let you know as soon as I get to hear it. I don't think he's listened to it either. I'll throw it in the CD player tonight and we can rock out while we cook dinner :)

• Members

You are actually what prompted this. I've been listening to your solo disk, and it's killer. I noticed you had it set for $8, which seemed low so I started sniffing around.

Do you think $4 per CD going to CDbaby is a fair deal?

For me it is. I don't have to split the "earnings" up 3 or 4 ways. I get a LOT of traffic...hardly ANY sales :cry: ...but a LOT of traffic. :D The shops I sell my disk at take 35% off the top. The only time I maximize profits is selling them at the improvs I do with Human Element. I'm honestly not looking at making much, and obviously, I'm not going to. It's just too out there for most people...despite my pop sensibilities. :(

Thanks for the compliment tho. :)

• Members

It's just too out there for most people..

Same here. I don't know if cheap as possible is necessarily the right answer. Or maybe it is. We're currently debating this, as well as whether we should stream the entire thing live on our website.

• Members

Oh, and to more clearly answer your question, after our excellent experience with CD Baby, we've ordered CDs from unknown artists and paid over $10/disk.

...and are quite happy too!

I'm going to making a few purchases myself very soon.

Archived