6 String Bass

Havar2

• Members

So Ive been playing my crappy $200 4 string for almost 4 years (I also play guitar, but for some reason Im much better at bass, and I can really lock in with the drummer).

What Im wondering is, do you think Im ready for a six stringer? I've been learning some Les Claypool stuff (my bass hero, lol) and I just think itd be awesome to have a nice, playable 6 string bass.

The band Im in is... I guess you could say prog metal, but I throw in some slap/flamenco stuff every once in a while.

Do you think this one would work?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Stiletto-Studio6-Bass?sku=513086

Thanks, guys.

• Members

Keyword here is gonna be "playable". You absolutely need to try several since the neck width is gonna be quite wide on al but those with very narrow string spacing. For the latter, your ability to do multi string things ala guitar is gonna be easier then most 4 string basses. But single string work is gonna be lot harder then on slim neck 4 stringers. I havent tried a 6 string that could concider nicely playable for me. Worst one was a Ken Smith 6 stringer. Horribly wide neck. So thats the thing with 6ers besides issue of will those extra 2 strings really get used enough to justify. Playability.

Imo very few fivers have good low B string tone. Warwick and Carvins been best I've heard to my ears in that dept.

Concider fiver before you concider sixer as my best advice.

• Members

Hm, I see what youre saying. I have tried a few 5 stringers and didnt like the tone on the B either. So 6ers are the same?

Ah, its not worth it then. If anything, I could do what Tim from Rage did (change the nut, and make my crappy 4 string BEAD).

I might go to shopping for one Monday (most likely guitar center), if all the 6 strings are crap, what are some 4 strings you'd recommend for Claypool-type stuff? A real punchy tone, thinner neck, and comfortable.

• Members

Yeah Les is my favorite bassist and I know I'll never sound exactly like him, nor do I want to, but I cant play that kind of stuff on my $200 spector. The neck is too thick and it just doesnt feel right.

Thanks for the help, guys... Ill just go with the flow like usual and see what I can find.

• Members

Hm, I passed by guitar center so I decided to go in for a bit. They only had one six stringer and it just didnt feel right, same with the 5 stringers. I guess Id need a really expensive 5/6 one, I could get used to it, but they just dont seem to be as well thought out/ made as cheaper 4 strings.

So anyways, I tried this plain black and white fender jazz... turns out it was a Geddy Lee. It was amazing, I loved the neck. Im going back tomorrow or monday to play it again and most likely buy.

Guess a 5/6er will have to wait. That bass is amazing. :thu:

Archived