Why do people put the metal guard over the pickup?

davis1

• Members

the saddle is excellent for resting your palm on for slapping, thum technique and popping

I think that it was designed for that purpose.

actually the nut,saddle, pickups, covers and strings all used to be one piece called the basseangea.the plates underneath the bass shifted over millions of years and we now have what we all know as "the bass".

• Moderators

actually the nut,saddle, pickups, covers and strings all used to be one piece called the basseangea.the plates underneath the bass shifted over millions of years and we now have what we all know as "the bass".

Now that is a theory I can get behind!

• Members

Now that is a theory I can get behind!

yes,yes...

what most people fail to understand are the huge pressures and amount of time that it took to shift these tektonic components.you can't just push a bridge away from a nut- it takes time and millions and millions of pounds of pressure to split the two.

that's one of the things that makes the basseangea sooo interesting.

• Members

I'd love to know how, when and why the utility of the covers changed. I'm very interested to learn.
:wave:

Some of the Fender Bass books published in the last few years state the covers were shielding to help reduce interference noise from fluorescent lighting and other appliances.

That is why the J bass had the cover over the neck pup and the big ashtray over the bridge pup.

• Moderators

Some of the Fender Bass books published in the last few years state the covers were shielding to help reduce interference noise from fluorescent lighting and other appliances.

That is why the J bass had the cover over the neck pup and the big ashtray over the bridge pup.

I know this. I wanted to bassdudeguy to explain his crazy idea. :D

• Members

I think of it as something like a baby-gate or the safety on a handgun. It's kind of a guard to make sure that I can't play it. I see it, and I know that I'm just going to bust my knuckles while attempting to strum the {censored}er, so I just pass and look for one without the cover.

Archived