Replacement bridge for P-bass

seraphim7s

• Members

I know, I know - everyone will say Badass.

But I don't actually want to change the tonal characteristics at all - I'm not looking for more fundamental, or sustain. I just want a better bridge, that's easier to adjust. The stock Fender bridge is so hard to set accurately for string height / intonation.

• Members

But I don't actually want to change the tonal characteristics at all - I'm not looking for more fundamental, or sustain. I just want a better bridge, that's easier to adjust. The stock Fender bridge is so hard to set accurately for string height / intonation.

The stock Fender bridge is so hard to set accurately for string height / intonation

I do not believe I have ever heard anyone say that before. this statement is usually reserved for the Ric bridge...:confused:

in any case I want to change the Bridge on my J copy to a better bridge

everyone recommends the BAII or the Gotoh 201.

the Gotoh looks like the fender type bridge with a few enhancments.

I had the BA on a Geddy Lee J and it was real nice.....

• Members

One issue with the Gotoh 201:

The saddles are larger than a stock Fender bridge. With my Jazz bass, The saddles are damn near sitting on the deck after adjusting action.

That said, after playing my bro's SD Curlee that has a BA-1 and a brass nut, I would probably buy a BadAss. (Harmonics are amazing!)

• Members

You know, I've considered swapping out the one on my fretless P, just to see the difference for myself. I just don't want to mess with the ashtray in order to make it fit. Anyone know if the ashtray would remount okay directly over a Gotoh bridge without any mods? If so, maybe I'll try it next time I change strings. Keep the original for resale.

• Members

You know, I've considered swapping out the one on my fretless P, just to see the difference for myself. I just don't want to mess with the ashtray in order to make it fit. Anyone know if the ashtray would remount okay directly over a Gotoh bridge without any mods? If so, maybe I'll try it next time I change strings. Keep the original for resale.

I read that the stock tray won't fit over the BAII, whereas the Gotoh's does.

• Members

Just out of curiousity, what is giving you difficulty with the stock bridge... I ask, because I've played Fenders my entire bass playing career, and other than having to apply some blue locktite to the saddle height screws, have never had ANY problems with stock Fender bridges...

- georgestrings

• Members

Just out of curiousity, what is giving you difficulty with the stock bridge... I ask, because I've played Fenders my entire bass playing career, and other than having to apply some blue locktite to the saddle height screws, have never had ANY problems with stock Fender bridges...

- georgestrings

They seem to, erm, well ... let me think ... they (the saddles) kind of 'slip' down towards the body of the bass, so I end up with an action lower than I want it. And often it's just really difficult to get both sides of the saddle at the same height. No matter how much I fiddle, the bridge is 'wonky'.

• Members

They seem to, erm, well ... let me think ... they (the saddles) kind of 'slip' down towards the body of the bass, so I end up with an action lower than I want it. And often it's just really difficult to get both sides of the saddle at the same height. No matter how much I fiddle, the bridge is 'wonky'.

That's easily cured by a spot of blue(medium strength) Locktite on the screws before setting them - much cheaper, and easier done than changing the bridge out... As for setting both screws at the same height - if that gives you problems, perhaps working on your own instruments is not in your best interest...

- georgestrings

• Members

The main reason most people on here swap them out is for tone and sustain.

Personally, I prefer the tone of the stock bridges - and as for sustain, I've never, ever had a lack of sustain with any electric bass I've ever played...

IMO, the reason why *most* people here add a BA bridge is because it's the "in" thing to do...

Of course, I *could* be wrong about that...

- georgestrings

• Members

Maybe, but my biggest complaint about the Fender bridges is that the screws in the saddles slip. They're {censored}.

Yeh, this is my prob. I want to retain the tone / sustain (who wants endless sustain anyway?) of my P-bass but just make set-ups a bit easier.

Besides, if I don't like the Gotoh 201 (which, after all, is quite cheap) I can just put the stock bridge back on.

• Members

Yeh, this is my prob. I want to retain the tone / sustain (who wants endless sustain anyway?) of my P-bass but just make set-ups a bit easier.

Besides, if I don't like the Gotoh 201 (which, after all, is quite cheap) I can just put the stock bridge back on.

The BA, IMO doesn't give you substantially more sustain. Just a bit more and it doesn't substantially alter the P Bass sound. From personal experience, I don't think they do.

• Members

Blue Locktite...

- georgestrings

I think he means there is no grove in the stamped metal part of the bridge where the screws sit and it moves there also. thats what I dont like about the stock bridge.I never had any problem with a stock brisge in terms of height or intonation.

same with the Ric Bridge, there is a rumor that it lifts and it is difficult to intonate.....

:idk:

Archived