Fretless

johnnybassman

• Members

Hi all, long time no post.

Anyway, I converted one of my Jazz basses to fretless just recently. I wanted to go the Jaco route and put a few coats of marine epoxy on the board. The boating supply store down the street doesn't have what I need, though.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I might use in it's place? I saw in a thread on Talkbass that someone used Tung Oil, but I'm not sure that would hold up under roundwound string abuse.

Thanks in advance!

• Members

Hi all, long time no post.

Anyway, I converted one of my Jazz basses to fretless just recently. I wanted to go the Jaco route and put a few coats of marine epoxy on the board. The boating supply store down the street doesn't have what I need, though.

Anybody have any suggestions on what I might use in it's place? I saw in a thread on Talkbass that someone used Tung Oil, but I'm not sure that would hold up under roundwound string abuse.

Thanks in advance!

Minwax makes a Helmsman Spar urethane which I used on my fretless conversion. It came recommended to me, but I haven't had a lot of use on it yet.

It seems solid, is holding up nicely. If I recall correctly, its pretty much the same stuff they use on bar countertops, etc.

• Members

Minwax makes a Helmsman Spar urethane which I used on my fretless conversion. It came recommended to me, but I haven't had a lot of use on it yet.

It seems solid, is holding up nicely. If I recall correctly, its pretty much the same stuff they use on bar countertops, etc.

Ah, excellent. I saw the Helmsman Spar Urethane at the hardware store yesterday. I wasn't sure if that would do the trick, but now I'll pick some up. Thanks! :thu:

Archived