Upright bass amplification?

Onkel Bob

• Members

I have a gig coming up but no way to amplify my upright bass right now. So I need a pickup... and will I need a pre-amp with that? I'm in unknown territory here. Well unknown to me anyway.

Of course I'd like cheap and good. Any suggestions?

• Members

I have this one:

http://www.urbbob.com/bassmax.html

I'm not sure what your timeframe is plus the fact that you're on the other side of the pond but, I like mine.

I don't need a preamp with that.

;)

I can get one of those by ordering from a German site and it'd be within my price range. They're pretty fast with delivery in my experience. The gig is on the 26th of september.

• Members

Ya know, I forgot, my teacher was telling me about another pickup just last weekend. I think it was this guy:

realist1.jpg

I'll confirm that. He was really raving about it.

EDIT: Confirmed. Based on his recommendation it will probably be what I go with, if I ever get my DB. :love:

• Members

EDIT: Confirmed. Based on his recommendation it will probably be what I go with, if I ever get my DB.
:love:

I had this hooked up to an upright and I wasn't really blown away by it. Nothing wrong with it though, and I don't have anyting to compare it to.

Gets much love on talkbass though. Maybe I have tin ears.

• Members

I had this hooked up to an upright and I wasn't really blown away by it. Nothing wrong with it though, and I don't have anyting to compare it to.

Gets much love on talkbass though. Maybe I have tin ears.

From what he said, no pick up's really do the job as well as good condenser mics.

• Members

From what he said, no pick up's really do the job as well as good condenser mics.

That's the direction I'll probably go the next time I have an upright bass.

My wife keeps spending money on stuff under the agreement that I get matching funds towards an upright bass when we get out of debt a bit. It's getting up there!

:)

• Members

I use that K&K Bass Max plus the Pure Pre 3 band EQ + volume adjuster on my upright. Either something's fishy with the preamp, but I get cleaner tone without using the preamp. For some reason I get distortion. It's not my battery, it's not my EQ settings, and it ain't my amp. The sound isn't normal at the settings I use.

• Members

In my old Dixieland band, I used to use a Sennheiser kick drum mic. Hands down, the best upright bass tone I've ever had. I used to mix it with my KK Double Big Twin pickup, and it was flat out heaven on four strings.

Nowadays, the KK is all I use. I have found out that the Phil Jones Bass Buddy really plays well with URBs; the tone is nice, sweet and rich. With a little of compression on it too, the strings even out sound-wise. Bowing with that setup is beastly, with plenty of definition.

• Moderators
I use that K&K Bass Max plus the Pure Pre 3 band EQ + volume adjuster on my upright. Either something's fishy with the preamp, but I get cleaner tone without using the preamp. For some reason I get distortion. It's not my battery, it's not my EQ settings, and it ain't my amp. The sound isn't normal at the settings I use.

You have an issue somewhere. That's the identical setup I have and the tone created is absolutely glorious.

• Members

I'm leaning towards the K&K Bass Max right now. Based on this thread, price and Bob Golihur's page. Anyone with horror stories jump in now. Or at least soon. I'm getting paid tomorrow and don't know if I have an opportunity to try much except a Fishman pickup. And I feel I need to order soon.

• Members

I decided to order the Bass Max figuring I can return it if I do not like it. The site I'm ordering from has a 30 day return policy.

Now I just have to hope that it will sound alright through my Trace V4 because that's what I have... Except of course I don't yet know if there'll be gear there to use... or it might be better to just run it through the PA wth do I know.

• Members

I've got the fishman and have used it on a few gigs. Not ideal or particularly hifi, but it will give you something quick and easy.

Anything other than the instrument itself is going to be a compromise of sorts...if I were gigging mine with any regularity I'd probably try find some sort of good mounted mic arrangement.

Archived