Valuing A Bass

RSBro

• Members

Ok, so my custom Q5 is in process, and I have a line on an unbelievable Q6 that I'm going to trick out and make into an unlined fretless version of such.

I bought the Wal because it was a great deal, and because it would be a good investment piece. But, I just don't play 4's, and for how good it sounds and for what it is, a true 4-banger player needs this ax. It just isn't going to get any working time with me. Someone needs to be using it, instead of me picking it up to practice on...

I've seen these things go from insane amounts on eBay to a decent range on Talkbass and the like. However, part of me wants to be the greedy bastage and make out like a bandit on the sale so I can get both (or close to) of the Q's paid for.

The other part, knowing what a piece of bass lore and history it is (for those that appreciate them), and that it'll be 20 years old next spring, and has a dang rare wood setup on it, wants someone I know or know would appreciate to have it, even if I don't get an exaggerated value on it.

I know people have PM'd me about it since the day it came home with me, so if there is any REAL interest in this thing, I'll be moving it in the next month or two more than likely, so let me know. I want to do like a silent bidding deal just to give everyone a fair shot w/out throwing it to the masses on eBay, as I know there's more than one who'd like this beauty.

Anyhow, just throwing that out there. :)

• Members

I'm not sure if they do that, cause yeah it'd save me tons of money. Those replacement necks are a pretty penny.

I just have the ones I've posted before, but I gotta make sure the fretless is replaceable first... ;)

I checked the whole bass last night, and we're talking it's near mint, except for two non-through the finish dings that are tough to even see. This was barely played from what I can tell.

• Members

I'm not sure if they do that, cause yeah it'd save me tons of money. Those replacement necks are a pretty penny.

I think I remember reading some Modulus necks don't even have a separate fingerboard, it's just a one-piece all-through graphite neck.

By all means make sure the Q5 is replaceable.

I know my Carvin and MTD can be missed in favour of that bass :p

• Members

I think I remember reading some Modulus necks don't even have a separate fingerboard, it's just a one-piece all-through graphite neck.

you read incorrectly. The 'boards are phenolic. You wouldn't want a graphite 'board.

I REALLY wish I had the cash for that Wal. One of the few active basses I lust for, mainly due to my undying love for Colin Moulding.

• Members

you read incorrectly. The 'boards are phenolic. You wouldn't want a graphite 'board.

I REALLY wish I had the cash for that Wal. One of the few active basses I lust for, mainly due to my undying love for Colin Moulding.

Correct. And some have the chechen option (used to be grenadillo also).

But from the way the necks are made, I don't think they can separate the two after completion anyhow.

It really is a slick bass. It's got some wear, but for a 20 y/o bass, you can't expect it to be mint if it was played. And this is too nice to NOT be a player's main gun.

• Members

I still say to just hold on to it. A decade from now, you'll be kicking yourself.

Be sure you're not flipping this Wal to finance an upcoming Modulus - unlike Wal basses, there will be others down the road.

To get a clear market value of the bass for insurance/legal purposes, you can get a professional appraisal at www.gruhn.com

• Members

I still say to just hold on to it. A decade from now, you'll be kicking yourself.

Be sure you're not flipping this Wal to finance an upcoming Modulus - unlike Wal basses, there will be others down the road.

To get a clear market value of the bass for insurance/legal purposes, you can get a professional appraisal at
www.gruhn.com

That's my only concern...

I don't play it now, but I can't say I won't play it down the road... It's only been owned twice.

First owner had it the first decade, and the second the second. :)

Gah well. You're probably right.

• Members

That's my only concern...

I don't play it now, but I can't say I
won't
play it down the road... It's only been owned twice.

First owner had it the first decade, and the second the second.
:)
Gah well. You're probably right.

Statistically speaking, you should hold on to it for a decade and then let it go ;)

• Members

Statistically speaking, you should hold on to it for a decade and then let it go
;)

Haha yeah that was kind of the joke when the guy sold it to me. He was going to hold on to it, and I kinda promised him I would keep it for a while, otherwise he wouldn't of sold it in the first place.

Oh well. The (new) fretless can wait I guess. Who knows. I may be so enamored with my custom Q5 I won't play anything else! :D

• Members

Yep....don't devalue the fortunate nature of coming across a highly sought after and nearly mint bass that isn't being made anymore. I held on to my old Steinberger for a
long
time, and sold it for college money at a respectable profit.

Get the appraisal, though.

Yeah thanks for that link. I'm gonna get some better pics of it and then shoot that guy a form.

• Members

There is nothing wrong with holding onto a bass that you don't play that much, especially if it's a bass that you can truly appreciate. So you only pick it up every so often, tell me you still don't enjoy every note out of it! You appreciate the Wal, and you should hold onto it. It doesn't matter at all if anyone else would 'appreciate' it more, or that it 'deserves' to be another players bass who'll use it at every gig. That kind of thinking is lost on me. It's your Wal, you like the bass and sought it out, and you deserve to keep it.

I still have my first bass, an all gloss black Gibson Victory Artist. It very rarely comes out of the case anymore, and it really is irreplacable. Even though I might only play it a few times a year, there is no one on this planet who would appreciate that bass more than I do, players be damned! I could put it in the hands of someone else, but I would regreat that every day of my life afterward. You need to keep that Wal, regardless of how much you use it now. If over time you lose the need of it, then let it go for every cent you can get. But don't let it go for nothing now just for other bass gas, especially for a bass that could easily be repeated. There will never be another Wal like the one you have, and that is important.

Archived