So I actually bought a Variax bass...

chubrocker

• Members

I've been needing some add'l tones for recording and for praise band. Particularly, fretless, acoustic and upright. I decided to get the Variax vs. V-Bass or GR-20.

At first glance, the bass is well-constructed. I'd say it would look like a $500-600 bass if I didn't know it's value. Acoustically, it played well. I could get harmonics easily all over the neck. The tone was solid. If my Lakland was a 10 (which it is! :) ), then I'd give this bass an 8 in acoustic tone. The feel is very close to my Lakland. The neck is very J-ish. My only beef is the finished neck. It has a slight SX feel to it due to the finished next.

Now, for tones, this quick overview is just via headphones. One word--OK, two words--"very convincing." At least, for most models. Do they sound EXACTLY like the basses modeled? No, but very close in most details. I've just begun to play with it, so I have much more time needed with it to make a good overview. I can quickly see this bass being used for recording. It's DEAD QUIET!! I'll try it Sunday to see how it performs through my PODxt as well as direct thru the PA.

I got this used off Ebay (sunburst model BTW) for $400. It's well worth that price thus far. Of course, playing it live will be its true test as I got it to be bass #2. My Lakland or Peavey 5er will always be the main bass. But for the other tones I need to cover, I'm hoping this will fit the bill.

Next week, a more extensive overview.

• Members

Most models are very accurate (a few truly suck though) but I didn't like how it limited your playing.

You can't go crazy with this bass, it always sounds clean.

Harmonics sound very strange and tone doesn't change with the position of your right hand. You pluck near the bridge or over the 12th fret, same sound at the output. It's a bit frustrating.

• Members

Hmmmmm. Interesting point, Jazz Ad. I didn't notice that, but didn't really change my position much. I can see what you mean about the odd harmonics, but I only noticed that on some models, e.g. 8-string. Now, I just need a sunburst T-40 my arsenal is set!!! :cool:

Archived