Moving anchor point?

Noise...

• Members

I'm trying to learn to play with my fingers, and I'm having a lot of trouble moving my thumb from anchoring on the neck pickup of my Jazz Bass to the E string, and then the A string.

Should I be moving my thumb from the pickup at all? My bass teacher said to move my anchor point to the E string when I'm playing on the D string, and the A string when I play the G string. Is that the best way to do it? Should I even move the anchor point?

• Members

Every player has a different technique, there is no one correct way IMO. I rest my thumb on the side of the bridge pup and, when I'm not playing on the E, (or B), I'll rest my thumb in the corner of the pup and the E string. Works for me!

• Members

i had that problem a few weeks into learning the bass as well. i just streach, all i have is 4 stringers tho so its pretty easy. i dont bother dropping my thumb down to the e string for anything. after a while it will start to come natural.

however, what did help me out is the installation of thumb rests on both of my basses. on my j style bass i used a dremel tool on the ends of a thumbrest so it bridged the gap between the tops of the pickups and on my p/j i have it mounted following the line off of the p pickup running towards the bridge. they have made all the difference in the world in tone options instead of just this pickup or that pickup.

• Members

Every player has a different technique, there is no one correct way IMO. I rest my thumb on the side of the bridge pup and, when I'm not playing on the E, (or B), I'll rest my thumb in the corner of the pup and the E string. Works for me!

+1

Do whatever suits your playing best.

I usually keep my thumb on the pickup unless I need to do some fast runs on the G, and then I usually move my thumb up a bit, sometimes on the B sometimes on the E.

• Members

I started with my thumb on the pickup. Then I realized it really limits my movement. I read a whole bunch on here to find out where people like to put place their thumbs. So, I forced myself to play it with the floating/roatating thumb or whatever. I'm still uncomfortable with it, but I'm practicing so I can be comfortable doing that.

I like it better 'cause I can not only stretch down to the G string easier, but also allows me to pick at different locations; near the bridge, near the neck or anywhere in between.

• Members

I like it better 'cause I can not only stretch down to the G string easier, but also allows me to pick at different locations; near the bridge, near the neck or anywhere in between.

+1. I'll freeball it like that if I need to. Otherwise my go-to spot is the neck pup on the 4 string or on the B just in front of the neck pup on the 5er.

• Members

Is that the best way to do it? Should I even move the anchor point?

Yes it's a good idea to learn to do it. It will give you better economy of motion, and it will be more comfortable (eventually). I usually cheat and don't move the anchor when I'm playing on the E or A strings, but above that I float.

Way to go on learning finger style! :thu:

• Members

My bass teacher said to move my anchor point to the E string when I'm playing on the D string, and the A string when I play the G string.

Your teacher sound kind of weird or controlling or something not too good. :confused:

When I play my Jazz bass I just use the pickup for a thumb rest. This pic shows it pretty well.

• Members

Your teacher sound kind of weird or controlling or something not too good.
:confused:

Not at all. There is proper technique to playing an instruments and it's the right thing to do to learn it. The "Whatever works for you" attitude isn't always the right move.

After you've learned it, then you can decide to alter things to suit you better.

• Members

If you want a good workout, check out www.musicdojo.com and look into the left and right hand technique class. Addresses things like this. The classes are on-line and will run you about $50. I took it and it was a great exercise in finger plucking and left hand positioning. Adam Nitti talks about moving anchor points vs. leaving the bracing thumb in one position. When playing my 5 strings I usually just leave my thumb on the B string, or on the pickup when playing the B string.

• Members
Not at all. There is proper technique to playing an instruments and it's the right thing to do to learn it. The "Whatever works for you" attitude isn't always the right move.

After you've learned it, then you can decide to alter things to suit you better.

If you think that moving your thumb every time you finger a different string is proper techinque, well, let's just say I'm concerned for you. :confused:

• Members

If you think that moving your thumb every time you finger a different string is proper techinque, well, let's just say I'm concerned for you.

Thanks for the concern....but it is considered proper technique. I'm not saying it's the ONLY technique, but it is absolutely considered a proper one, and IME it's the most commonly taught and practiced one.

(Edit: To be clear...this is actually a floating thumb....the thumb moves correspondingly but it's notably different in that it doesn't "Anchor" per se. Probably not good for beginner, and NOT what his instructor was suggesting)

here's another (THIS is moving anchor....and as I said it's the most common technique IME.)

:wave:

• Members

If you think that moving your thumb every time you finger a different string is proper techinque, well, let's just say I'm concerned for you.
:confused:

the technique is used in order to mute the string above the one you are playing

when playing a thumb to e, playing d thumb to a playing g thumb to D

so how do you mute your strings?

and OH BTW Catphish is right it is proper technique when playing 2 or 3 finger method.

• Members

I'm trying to learn to play with my fingers, and I'm having a lot of trouble moving my thumb from anchoring on the neck pickup of my Jazz Bass to the E string, and then the A string.

You should eventually learn to move your anchor from the neck pup to the bridge pup to the neck and back, as well as move it to the E, A & even D strings.

Should I be moving my thumb from the pickup at all? My bass teacher said to move my anchor point to the E string when I'm playing on the D string, and the A string when I play the G string. Is that the best way to do it? Should I even move the anchor point?

Do what works best for the situation. That means being comfortable in all the anchor points(inc. each pup, neck and E,A & D strings)...and smoothly switching from one anchor point to another. This all takes time, so don't sweat it. Just be aware of your options. Make it a goal for yourself to expand to a different anchor point every month or so, comfortably, and you'll be smokin' in no time.

Archived