Double Tracking

cwatson

• Members

Did some recording with the band today and whilst vocals sounded rich and full and drums sounded great, the bass and more noticeably guitar were lacking body. The guitar was recorded using an sm57 and only on one track, is there a way of getting around having to play the whole line note perfect to double track. e.g. sending a monitor out back into an input and recording on another track or would that just sound exactly the same?

As for bass I recorded using purely the DI on the back of my amp straight into the multi tracker. It sounded really weak and had no fullness. If I were to take the input from the DI and then use the sm57 to mic the cab and record on to two seperate tracks would it beef up my sound?

Any help will be much appreciated

Chris

• Moderators

For the guitar track-copy it to another track, make the start time 2-3 ms after the original and place it directly behind the original track. If it's a clean track, you could also try adding a very slight chorus to the underneath track. If it's the only guitar track there is, you could also take that second track and pan it to the opposite side for a wider sound in the stereo field.

For the bass guitar-double or triple the track. Do not make the start time of the track anything other than the original. Also you can use a parametric eq and boost a little in the low mids around 140-250Hz. Be careful in that range though, particularly around the 150 Hz, as too much can make your bass sound very muddy instead of fat. After duping the tracks, you could also try to cut some of the highs and upper mids instead of boosting the lows, such as decreasing what you have in the 3-5K range.

• Members
I got a couple of condensor mics, sm58, a set of drum mics.

If you have a kick drum mic, try it on the bass amp. Experiment with different mics. The position of the mic is very important too. Move it around the speaker and the sound can change dramatically.

• Members

For the guitar track-copy it to another track, make the start time 2-3 ms after the original and place it directly behind the original track. If it's a clean track, you could also try adding a very slight chorus to the underneath track. If it's the only guitar track there is, you could also take that second track and pan it to the opposite side for a wider sound in the stereo field.

Exactly. I simply copy it and add a touch of delay and run it 100% wet, but same outcome. And THEN pan it differently. Really opens it up. Try also playing with differeny EQs for the 2 tracks to differentiate them.

Archived