used Mesa price? and weight?

burnthiscorpse

• Members

Mesa 400+ newer one. ?? i see a couple on e-bay. and i couldnt find a weight on the mesa sight??? plz tell me they are not more than my old 88lb SVT.

i am possibly looking for a used but near (if not) mint one. was going to sell my D-180 and svt 8x10 or trade it for one. my custom pre-amp is a ways out and i want more head room than the d-180 has so, since i am getting a powerhouse 1000 cab sunday i figured i would stay mesa and get the 400+ cant get any more headroom than that.

• Members

What's wrong with the D-180?

Yo.

i have run it on a big stage and a few small ones thus far and have to run my channel volume at 7 and the master at 7. with the reality of late this year early next of my band touring and playing large and small places, i dont want to have to ever worry about enough headroom. i dont dig running both volumes 3/4 of the way up.

• Members

You must have an awfully distorted tone. You basically have it set for what would be a medium amount of gain for guitar, enough for classic rock. Have you read the manual?

There are other ways to get a louder, cleaner sound than selling the amp. If you're set on it, good luck to you, the 400+ is a fine amp (I've owned one). Whoever buys your D180 will be very happy - as long as he reads the manual.

• Members

You must have an awfully distorted tone. You basically have it set for what would be a medium amount of gain for guitar, enough for classic rock. Have you read the manual?

There are other ways to get a louder, cleaner sound than selling the amp. If you're set on it, good luck to you, the 400+ is a fine amp (I've owned one). Whoever buys your D180 will be very happy - as long as he reads the manual.

i am running channel 2 not channel 1 (the guitar voiced channel) there is no distortion or plexi type gain whatsoever in my sound. and yes i have read literature on how this head works. i used to run a gibson EB-3 through the first channel and use a bunch of gain. (in a different band) so i am familiar with the head.

• Members

Interesting. Mine will distort on any master setting less than 10, the lower the more distortion. IIRC the recommended setting for bass was channel 2 and master at 10, channel volume to taste. You certainly won't need to run a 400+ with the master that high - it starts to distort over 5.

• Members

my master setting has no bearing whatsoever on overdrive. channel 1 as you should know is the gain channel and cascades through channel two so they have that double volume interaction thing that boogie does. channel 1 acts as volume/gain (and is way brighter) and channel two's volume acts as a sort of boost to it. then you turn the master to your desired setting. however channel two is NOT a gain channel you should get (as i do) no gain other than a little tube amp growl. and channel one's volume is not included in two's signal path because obviously they dont cascade backwards.

Archived