OT: computer help...

boscal45

• Members

hmm, well that would be a smart way to design it.
:)

regardless, seems like there are lots of people in that thread who fixed this problem by installing from an SP2 disk. Whether it's PCIe or some other hardware issue (SATA or something), seems like a good bet to try it.

boscal45: any idea whether the XP disk you have is SP2 or not?

For the record, SP2 doesn't come with SATA drivers though.

• Members
hmm, well that would be a smart way to design it.
:)

regardless, seems like there are lots of people in that thread who fixed this problem by installing from an SP2 disk. Whether it's PCIe or some other hardware issue (SATA or something), seems like a good bet to try it.

boscal45: any idea whether the XP disk you have is SP2 or not?

Been doing some more checking on the web and it looks like a lot of people are having trouble with this XP and PCIe thing. I sounds to me like it's only happening on some motherboards. I just upgraded three computers here at home with PCIe motherboards and PCIe cards and XP gave me no trouble.

edit: Aha! I just checked and my copies of XP and they have SP2, so evidently there is a problem with XP SP1 regardless of what MS says.

• Members
For the record, SP2 doesn't come with SATA drivers though.

Ok, I'll keep that in mind for my next pc too, thanks. :) Just not ready for Vista yet...

Come to think of it, seems like I ran into that problem the last time I installed. My C: drive is a pair of SATA Raptors in RAID 0, so maybe it was just RAID drivers I thought I was loading. I had to attach a floppy drive, make a disk, and hit F6 during install to load the drivers.

• Members

well, the error that kept popping up referenced pci.sys, so i think the problem is the pci-e card

Naw, the PCIe card is fine. The problem is XP with SP1. It seems to me you have a few options.

1. Buy a new copy of Vista.

2. Buy a new copy of XP with service pack 2.

3. Try making one of those slipstreamed xp disc things.

4. Go out and get drunk.

• Members

i just went in to check the BIOS and it was already set to boot from the cd before the hard drive

can you access another XP disc in case yours is faulty somehow...and one with SP2 would be beneficial..

and get the key..perhaps a friend could loan you one..

dont think thats illegal

Archived