mixer question

B-Bottom

• Members

I'll ask this here since no one seems to be on over at live sound

Right now my band is using a single JBL EON15P for vocals. I am running this through my old tascam 8 track recorder/mixer (the one with the tape deck) into the speaker through the phone jack. It's not the greatest set up but it seems to work.

I've been looking at those Behringer XENYX 802 Mixer's to use instead of Tascam. How much difference would it make if I picked one of those up? Keep in mind that this is only for practice and doesn't have to be anything spectacular.

• Members

I'd have to agree that pretty much anything would be an improvement, even a Behringer! My guitard got a little Xenyx 802 board for his home practicing (to run a guitar, a vocal mic and a CD player into headphones) and he loves it! For rehearsals we still use my 8+ year old Behringer MX2642A, and it works great! I think it would be a fine upgrade for your rehearsals!

• Members

you may get more volume from the mixer but it will not be any cleaner than it is already

I have that mixer and it produces a lot of line noise

if you are going to buy a mixer get something better than what you are currently looking at.... or try it and if you don't like it send it back I suppose.

when you do send it back though,I promise I won't say I told you so;)

• Members

Funny, all the ones I've encountered have been fine...........................

I can guarantee that the mixer in the recorder is a much cleaner track/Channell than the Behringer

the Xenyx 802 is the same exact mixer as the Eurorack UB 802 with a different paint job. if I were to buy one it would be the eurorack for 20 bucks less.

• Members

I've encountered a few Xenyx mixers and haven't heard any noise from any of them,... I think operators error may give these bad boys a little bit of bad press... I'm not saying they are 'pro' or anything, just that I've not had any trouble with noise, now I have seen some Behringer stuff that gets abused and doesn't stand up to it, but the 'Behringer Sucks' campaign is often supported and any resistance is ignored, even if the person who has used the gear has experience with the type of gear and has never had any specific issues with the Behringer stuff...

• Members

I've encountered a few Xenyx mixers and haven't heard any noise from any of them,... I think operators error may give these bad boys a little bit of bad press... I'm not saying they are 'pro' or anything, just that I've not had any trouble with noise, now I have seen some Behringer stuff that gets abused and doesn't stand up to it, but the 'Behringer Sucks' campaign is often supported and any resistance is ignored, even if the person who has used the gear has experience with the type of gear and has never had any specific issues with the Behringer stuff...

Agreed. Although hardly top of the line, Behringer mixers seems to be decent cheap options. You have to take care of them, they can't handle much abuse, but if its just going to sit in your practice space, it will probably be just fine.

• Members

The Behringer eurorack mixers without effects are good budget mixers imo. Thinks the Yamaha MG series a little better but..

A 6-12 ch mixer opens up many possibilities for you inc mixing several instruments to the Pa speaker/s. I have noticed that running two ch's with bass does give little fuller sound then just running one. Even if mono. This would be due to the same effect as heavier gauge speaker or instrument cable actually since 2nd ch just adds more conduit if running mono.

But anyway, yeah imo the behringer eurorack mixers are good budget gear wether for at home or for gigging band use.

• Members

Uh..um where did I say behringer sucks? I think I even said I own the UB802 and I will also add I own a few other pieces of Behringer equipment that are used for rehearsal purposes,however in comparison with the Behringer and the Tascam recorder the Tascam is the better of the 2.

As far as your comment about operator error I do know how to properly set up sound boards on a much larger scale than a 4 channel eurorack:rolleyes:

I own a Allen and Heath GL2400-40(4 Hire I Might Add for any one looking for a sound guy in the chattanooga area) so I think that I may be a tad bit qualified to answer dudes question.:thu:

• Members

I have noticed that running two ch's with bass does give little fuller sound then just running one. Even if mono. This would be due to the same effect as heavier gauge speaker or instrument cable actually since 2nd ch just adds more conduit if running mono.

Likely the DAQOTD but...

How would you run 2 channels into the mixer from a single mono (DI) source?

'Y' cable at the source?

Archived