What rig would you use for a duct tape bass?

Kindness

• Moderators

How about this one?

IMG_8292.jpg

IMG_8288.jpg

After spending a little time cleaning up Thunderbroom's new amp (1969 Univox U1061 Bass Amp), replacing the cap cans, installing a three prong power cord, getting a new set of power tubes... I was able to put the beauty back together yesterday. It is sweet. It is a warm sounding amp, even on the bright channel. However, pulling the HB (pull pot on the second volume) brings out a really crisp clear tone. Running 4 6550s at an extremely high plate voltage it still stays clean throughout the entire volume range. Into bpocall's NEOX-212T the amp gets louder than any drummer and should be perfect for stage volume at any of Tbroom's gigs. The bass, midrange, treble and presence controls all function well, but the changes are subtle throughout the range of boost and cut. This is not an amp you can get really extreme tones out of, instead no matter what the settings you get a thick, heavy, full, sweet bass tone (unless you cut all the bass, but then you're just silly :p).

$150 for the amp + another $180 for parts = a $330 amp that is incredibly unique, cool and functional. Nice score Jeff. :thu:

:cool:

• Moderators

dude,

after hearing that thing on the phone yesterday, you do know i'm gonna have to find one now, right?

If you can find one that cheap I'll be impressed. Thanks for all of your help in getting the amp up and running. I couldn't have done it without you. :thu:

• Moderators

you and me both man. i just don't see it happenin for a buck-fitty.

After I typed that I thought, good luck finding one at all. Then on top of that finding one in this condition. Then on top of that, at this price. Hahaha. Never. Tbroom owes Fitzwell for finding it and then passing on buying it.

• Members

Just spent a little while with it.

I think my G&L's sound best with it though none sound bad. It's a far cry from my GB's, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. It sounds PHAT.

I think that I'm going to gig with it next weekend. I'm still undecided how I'll get it into the PA (or if I will...may just run direct from my tuner).

• Moderators

It's a far cry from my GB's, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either. It sounds PHAT.

Exactly. I've never heard one that is phatter. I imagine with your BEAD tuning and your flat wound strings that sucker is just T-T-H-H-I-I-C-C-K-K. :eek:

My next project is bpocall's new nut. Then a new nut for my pimpolicious Hamer 5 string with Aero's so I can start using it EADGC. I can't get the thought of that 7 string I fell in love with out of my head and I need to have a C and an F to start exploring that setup. For now the C will have to do. Then I have to finish upgrading the power supply in my Tfunk. Then completely rebuild my friend's old strat that has been used to within an inch of its life. Then a new nut for an old acoustic. I've had a couple more acoustics dropped off for pickups after their owners have heard mine (pictured in the Swimmer Missing thread).... anyone else have anything they need? I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

• Members

Exactly. I've never heard one that is phatter. I imagine with your BEAD tuning and your flat wound strings that sucker is just T-T-H-H-I-I-C-C-K-K.
:eek:

My next project is bpocall's new nut. Then a new nut for my pimpolicious Hamer 5 string with Aero's so I can start using it EADGC. I can't get the thought of that 7 string I fell in love with out of my head and I need to have a C and an F to start exploring that setup. For now the C will have to do. Then I have to finish upgrading the power supply in my Tfunk. Then completely rebuild my friend's old strat that has been used to within an inch of its life. Then a new nut for an old acoustic. I've had a couple more acoustics dropped off for pickups after their owners have heard mine (pictured in the Swimmer Missing thread).... anyone else have anything they need? I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

hmmm... Shooting you a PM...

• Members

.... anyone else have anything they need? I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

Umm, give me about 8 to 12 weeks and I'll need a neck swap with a good setup, two seperate pup swaps, one bridge swap with another good setup. Well, you did ask...;)

edit: Oh and I forgot to throw in a good fret leveling.:thu:

• Moderators

Umm, give me about 8 to 12 weeks and I'll need a neck swap with a good setup, two seperate pup swaps, one bridge swap with another good setup. Well, you did ask...
;)

edit: Oh and I forgot to throw in a good fret leveling.
:thu:

NO STEEL FRETS!!! :mad:

:thu:

Archived