What i am, is what i was...

Fran da Man

• Members

http://www.comcast.net/music/index.jsp?cat=MUSIC&fn=/2007/09/03/754311.html&cvqh=itn_albrecht

Member of New Bohemians Fatally Shot

By JEFF CARLTON, Associated Press Writer

1 hour ago

DALLAS - Jeffrey Carter Albrecht, a keyboard player for the band Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, was shot to death early Monday while trying to kick in the door of his girlfriend's neighbor, police said.

The neighbor believed a burglar was trying to break in and fired a shot through the door around 4 a.m., Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Gil Cerda said.

Albrecht, 34, died at the scene. It was not clear why Albrecht went to the house and the case is under investigation. No arrests have been made.

"He was at his girlfriend's house last night," said Danny Balis, Albrecht's roommate. "He left the house and went next door and _ for whatever reason, which we don't know _ he knocked on the neighbor's door. And from what I understand, he was persistent. I don't know if there was a verbal exchange, but the person panicked and fired a shot through the door."

The death of Albrecht, who also played keyboard and guitar and sang in the Dallas rock band Sorta with Balis, stunned friends and those who knew him in the North Texas music community.

"He is not a violent person," said Carrie Garcia, Sorta's manager. "He is cool as a cucumber, shy, always wanted to make a joke in a situation that may be a little tense."

Albrecht, who went by his middle name, had been with the New Bohemians since 1999, according to the band's Web site. Albrecht played several times with Brickell's husband, Paul Simon, Garcia said. He also played with Texas musician Charlie Sexton, a renowned guitarist.

Albrecht was working on a solo album that Balis called "the best thing he has ever done."

"He was the best musician I've ever played with _ no question," Balis said. "He could play anything. It's a shame not enough people outside of Dallas heard him."

• Members

Carter was a really good guy. I've known him for quite a while and was involved in getting him in one of his early bands. I went to his Senior Piano Recital at SMU. We played professionally together every Saturday night for around six or seven years.

Absolutely stunning musician. I don't think I've ever played with another musician who could improvise like he did. Great songwriter. Distinctive, cool singing voice.

Everyone in Dallas is shocked at the senselessness of this. I've been talking to folks all day long about this.

He'll be missed.

• Members

I wonder what he was doing banging on their door in the middle of the night?
:confused:

That's a really good question. For most folks who knew Carter, it seems very much out-of-character. So much of this story raises questions. Not sure if all of them can be answered.

I'm really upset over Carter's death.

By the way, for you non-Texans, a new law was passed, the "Castle doctrine/Stand Your Ground Bill," which just went into effect over the weekend. It basically states that a homeowner can use deadly force without retreat or calling the cops. This horrible incident may or may not fall under this law.

Archived