Strap length issues

Optimus Prime

• Members

I keep my straps at about 38 inches from hole to hole. I just got this strap last week http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Levys-412-Padded-Leather-Bass-Guitar-Strap?sku=369224 and I'm having problems getting it to the right length. Like I said I like them at about 38 inches. I've screwed around with it for like 3 or 4 hours and can't get it right. Any ideas? And the stitching around the holes for the strap buttons seems flimsy. Is that normal. Any help?

• Members

I'm about ashamed of you guys on here.:o

Looking at that pic and going to the Levy's site (which didn't say {censored}) anyhow...you have to rethread that strap to shorten it, no extra holes or nothing.

Unthread that entire end piece, (the thin section to the left) that is if it is removable.

407158.jpg

It should have a larger tab with a slot in it at the opposite end.

Now if you made it this far, start rethreading by sending the skinniest end through the top slot in the main body from the back with the good side of the leather facing towards the far end of the main body . Pull it through that top slot till the fatter tab's slot is at a lenght to hang down around the 3rd or 4th slot down on the main body from where you started. Now take the long end you began with and send it back into slot 2 (next slot down from the top) pull through and send it back out slot 3, pull through and send it back in slot 4 PLUS through the slot in the tab that you left hangin out the back, then continue the in and out threading till finished and your strap WILL BE one hell of alot shorter. if it ends up too short, unthread and use a different lenght/slot for the large tab to hang at. Remember all this depends on if the smaller end is removable.

• Moderators

Jesus Christ!!! the main body of that strap must be close to 42" then. wtf?

WTF is right. Seriously.

The best part about this is OP knows his preferred strap length to the inch. I've never even thought about that measurement, but it immediately strikes me as more important than I have pretended.

• Members

WTF is right. Seriously.

The best part about this is OP knows his preferred strap length to the inch. I've never even thought about that measurement, but it immediately strikes me as more important than I have pretended.

You are quite right. My last Peavey strap i cut the end off (nylon webbing) of the leather end and cut the stitching out and took it to a shoemaker and had him restitch the leather end back on, with his industrial boot stitcher he damn near hit all the same holes in the leather.

heres a crappy pic of the after restitch, over to the right is where you can see the missed original holes.

th_IMG_0484.jpg

Archived