Going to buy a bass today

barneyc4

• Members

Precision
poll before I try each at the store.

Which bass do you think I will like best for the following types of tones/bands:

Pink Floyd

Tool

Incubus

Alter Bridge

Staind

Chevelle

Fixed it, I think you've answered your own question...

Really a lot has to do with your rig too, so mst basses should be fine. I like Schecters, hey look different and play like butter, but lots of people have 'gotten by' with Fenders...

• Members

Fixed it, I think you've answered your own question...

Really a lot has to do with your rig too, so mst basses should be fine. I like Schecters, hey look different and play like butter, but lots of people have 'gotten by' with Fenders...

I don't have an amp yet. I'm going to buy a bass this week and my amp next week.

what are mst basses by the way?

• Members

Once you get hooked, you'll have one of each anyways. So, which one is going to be your first place?

I say a Fender Jazz.

I really don't know. I used to own a Fender Deluxe Jazz bass (not the high end American one) and it really didn't do it for me. It didn't have enough punch/thump. Maybe it was the pickups?

I am willing to give the American Jazz Bass a try though.

• Members

A lot of songs by some of those bands use a lot of down tuning or Low B five string work. Sure a fiver is not in order here?

I'm pretty sure im set on a 4 string, but I might consider a 5.

Who knows, I might take a 4 and a 5er home.

• Members

Pink Floyd- P Bass

Tool- Wal (HH 'ray could do this)

Incubus- Jazz Bass (Last album anyway)

Alter Bridge- Pure {censored}e. Probably a warwick :)

Staind- Warwick, see alter bridge. Alse detuned/5 string

Chevelle- Music Man until the latest album, then T-Birds. Often a 5 string

So yeah, if that what you want to play, and you want one bass to cover all of those, and you can;t be talked into a G&L L2500, the a Stingray 5 HH is the ticket. Or a bongo.

• Members

how different would a HH corvette sound compared to MM Stinray HH?

For me it's not so much the sound, but the feel. I played both these basses this weekend, and to my ears the Warwick was more aggressive and had a bit more growl. However, Warwicks have a unique feel - it's the neck and body size that do it for me - that I don't like. The EBMM felt natural. Warwicks always seem like I have to work to play them.

Try both before you buy.

• Members

Warwick Corvette standard. I really like em although I can't afford one. It has a great tone and quite versatile IMHO. Plus you cant get a really good Tool tone with a P bass. Corvette has all the good things about Jazz pickups, but with a more dominant tone that I love.

Archived