OT: more computer help...

boscal45

• Members

i finally got xp installed on my laptop, but now i cant get the vista beta off. ive tried formating the c: drive, and it will get most of the way through but then say that it came across an error and cannot continue. i tried choosing all the contents of the c: drive and deleting it, but it pops up and says "cannot delete dao360.dll. access is denied. make sure the disc is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." i have a copy of that .dll in my d: drive with my xp stuff, but apparantly it still wants to use the one from the c: drive.

if i can get pointed in the right direction about how to clear this up, that would be great.

on the other hand, now that i have a slipstreamed xp disc and know that it works just fine, maybe i could wipe the entire drive and just start over clean. could that work? i just dont know how to do it.

thanks!

• Members

You could start XP in safe mode and then try and delete the file from a command line. The problem you're going to run into, I think, is there are probably some files that XP and Vista share in common and when you try to delete those files XP won't let you because it's also using them. Personally, I'd wipe the hard drive totally clean and go with a fresh XP setup.

• Members

Personally, I'd wipe the hard drive totally clean and go with a fresh XP setup.

but how would i do that?

ive hit the end of my computer knowledge with trying to install xp. if everything went perfectly, i would have been ok, but it didnt, so im kind of out of my league here...

• Members

but how would i do that?

ive hit the end of my computer knowledge with trying to install xp. if everything went perfectly, i would have been ok, but it didnt, so im kind of out of my league here...

boot back to the XP cd and choose to do a clean install. when the partitions are shown at a screen like this:

partitions.jpg

highlight any under the C: drive part and get rid (delete) them. so under C it just says unpartitioned space.

then tell it to install a fresh copy on the unpartitioned space. use quick formatting to save time.

if you have a seperate D drive make sure you dont delete that partition if you have data you want to save on there. its a pain getting it back at that point.

Archived