OT: Hair colour in photoshop

Anesthesia

• Members

I have been messing around with photoshop (first time ever), using the quick mask dealy and layers to change the colour of my girlfriend's hair.

I was wondering how I can change her black hair to a sandy blonde colour, just for {censored}s and giggles.

What I have been doing is 'quickmasking' all of her hair, inversing the selection then adding a solid colour layer (soft light), but it looks pretty dodgy for brighter colours (most probably due to my lack of PS skill)

Any tips on what I can do to improve the result?

• Members

I have been messing around with photoshop (first time ever), using the quick mask dealy and layers to change the colour of my girlfriend's hair.

I was wondering how I can change her black hair to a sandy blonde colour, just for {censored}s and giggles.

What I have been doing is 'quickmasking' all of her hair, inversing the selection then adding a solid colour layer (soft light), but it looks pretty dodgy for brighter colours (most probably due to my lack of PS skill)

Any tips on what I can do to improve the result?

The problem you'll run into is that black hair usually doesn't have a ton of detail in it...like you would see in a photo of lighter colored hair. So when you try to lighten the color of dark hair, it usually comes out flat.

Try using the Curves. Peg down the 3/4 - shadow tones and then bring up the quarter and mid-tones to a lighter color. Try using it as an adjustment layer instead of directly on the image so you can play around with it.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. If it's black hair, there will hardly be any light or quarter tones in it, so adjusting that won't work that well. So in curves try this, in the highlight area, just bring up the hightlights from 0% to like 30% or so, but leave the shadow alone.

Archived