Catphish would be happy

One Bad Monkey

• Members

I took a five day vacation from work over Labor Day weekend; today was the first day back. Sitting on my chair, was a little white box from Euphonic Audio; after two months of waiting, the iAmp Micro 300 amp is here!!!!

And yet, aside from showing it to my boss and the other musicians at work, I haven't done anything with it. Instead, I am working feverishly to finish CP's album artwork.

• Members

Happy indeed. The last version looks friggin amazing!

You're so polite. :D

I ran to GC and grabbed a speakon cable on the way home today so I could plug it in and give it an initial run-through. Tone-wise, the folks at EA tout that their amps and speakers have no tone at all, and I believe it. Any coloration on the tone was due to the fact that I'm running it through an Aguilar GS112 (at 8ohms, the amp puts out about 175w, instead of the 325 @4ohm).

Something like this is really different for me, given that my last two amps were a Hartke and a Gallien-Krueger (both of which have distinct tones). So, to just hear the cabinet itself was quite a departure for me. On the plus side, it let the basses (so far, I've run my Lakland 55-02 fretless and Warwick Corvette 5'er through it) really sing. The Warwick's trademark growl for once isn't hindered by the amp it's going through, and really has a lot of low end punch. The Lakland...sweet Jesus...period. Running it through the GK had me keep the onboard electrics completely flat, just due to the GK coloration. Now that I can hear the differences, tweaking the sound of the bass was a lot more enjoyable.

The eq is TOUCHY. Just minor changes have a giant influence on the overall sound. All in all, I ran the eq on the amp flat. If anything, I rolled back some bass to try and get rid of the boominess that the Aguilar has.

The two channels are a must for me, for doubling on electric and URB. I've never had an amp with that feature, and damn if it ain't cool. Being able to switch eq channels with one bass will definitely come in handy very quickly.

That's all I've got for now. I'm hoping to run my EUB and URB through the thing this weekend in order to get a full idea of how it sounds. If anything, the only thing I may change is my cab, because with the EA the Aguilar sounds a little tubby. I'll have to play out with it a bit before the final say on that, though.

Archived