OT - Computer Hardware Question

PaulyWally

• Members

If you were spec'ing out a new computer, what would you put in it?

Kinda like your dream comuter, but within reason. No "16 CPU Opteron" systems with optical SAN for storage. :freak::wave:

I'm asking cause I'm trying to spec something out right now, and looking to get some other suggestions. 3D animation and video processing is kinda high on the list of requirements for it.

• Members

Linux... probably Debian.

I'll have a flavor of Windows on there too... but most of said software will be run from Linux.

I'm thinking about that too. But I'm still leaning toward a PC running Linux cause... well... it's a whole lot cheaper after the hardware is bought.

What kind of video work will you be doing?

I edit video (and post from :D) a MacPro with Final Cut Studio. It depends on the video work you want to do and the program/system you want to edit on.

Or maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. ;)

• Members

What kind of video work will you be doing?

I'm basically going to be getting my feet wet with this stuff. I've never really done much video editing before. Eventually, I'll be capturing video with my mini DV camcorder, slicing/editing video, maybe working with a few effects, and a lot of soundtrack work as well.

BTW, my camera is not HD, but I might be upgrading to a HD camera in a year or so.

• Members

I do editing with miniDV via firewire. I have 1 gig of memory on top of Athlon 64 3200+, and have had 0 latency issues. Granted, I haven't worked with large movies, but for smaller movies ( ~ 10 min), my 2 ~ 3 year old system works fine.

I think the video card I have is Ati x1800xt series with 512mb onboard.

• Members
I'm basically going to be getting my feet wet with this stuff. I've never really done much video editing before. Eventually, I'll be capturing video with my mini DV camcorder, slicing/editing video, maybe working with a few effects, and a lot of soundtrack work as well.

BTW, my camera is not HD, but I might be upgrading to a HD camera in a year or so.

One thing I will give Apple a lot of credit for is streamlined digital video editing, especially capturing video content. It's very easy over Firewire. There's not a lot to worry about. I'm not sure about Linux solutions for video (Linux is pretty much a non-factor in pro video work), but I know Apple's solutions, from iMovie up to Final Cut Studio, work very well - as long as you learn to work them.For video, I'd want a minimum of 4GB of RAM, personally, and a 500+ gig HDD as a second media drive if you're really going to get into it eventually.$.02Dustin

Archived