Should I pull the trigger or not? (URB)

slapthefunkyfour

• Members

I found an upright bass for sale from a local guy in the classified ads.

2117767.jpg

It's one of those cheap chinese models. He only wants about $400 for it. Most likely it will need a setup. (nut filing, bridge work) He says it is brand new. He bought it for his son to play in the high school band, but his son changed his mind and wants nothing to do with it now.

I'm gonna go check it out tonight. I figure once I put a pup on it and some cool pinstriping, it wouldn't be too bad. I know that it will be years and years before I can afford to buy a real URB, so this could get me by.

What do ya'll think?

• Moderators

Who let this guy out of the TB DB forum? Get back in there gear snob!
:mad:

Ouch. That one stings. I'm all for good cheap gear. Ask bassment zombie, Thunderbroom, Brother Mango, sarabella, xOriginalNinjax, etc. I just want people to have instruments that they can enjoy and that bass scares me.

• Members

I thoroughly enjoy my cheap chinese made URB, it gets the job done and didn't break the bank! I'd get some paint pens and go to town making that open canvas a thing of beauty! You aren't going to find an URB for $400 any where else, so I'd jump on it! Ask T-Broom what he thinks of his cheapy, no coplaints here!

• Moderators

I thoroughly enjoy my cheap chinese made URB, it gets the job done and didn't break the bank! I'd get some paint pens and go to town making that open canvas a thing of beauty! You aren't going to find an URB for $400 any where else, so I'd jump on it! Ask T-Broom what he thinks of his cheapy, no coplaints here!

:thu:

As long as it does what you need it to do. These are all tools and not every job requires a gold plated, diamond encrusted, titanium hammer.

• Members

Yeah, so I picked it up last night. $411. I took it home and it sounded like crap.

Then I noticed the bridge was about 2 inches to close to the fingerboard. I adjusted it back to the normal position and it sounded much much better. I still need to carve the bridge down to the correct height, and fit the bridge feet to the top.

I have a friend who is a real luthier. Not like Kindness, who just does it for fun, (no offense) but my friend actually went to school for 2 years for it. He made my $79 violin sound like $1500 after his setup. (no joke, I had a couple pros look at it) All I have to do is keep him supplied with beer while he works, and he'll help me plane the fingerboard, reset the bass bar, and file the nut.

• Moderators

Yeah, so I picked it up last night. $411. I took it home and it sounded like crap.

Then I noticed the bridge was about 2 inches to close to the fingerboard. I adjusted it back to the normal position and it sounded much much better. I still need to carve the bridge down to the correct height, and fit the bridge feet to the top.

I have a friend who is a real luthier. Not like Kindness, who just does it for fun, (no offense) but my friend actually went to school for 2 years for it. He made my $79 violin sound like $1500 after his setup. (no joke, I had a couple pros look at it) All I have to do is keep him supplied with beer while he works, and he'll help me plane the fingerboard, reset the bass bar, and file the nut.

Cool. No offense taken at all. I originally looked into going to the Chicago School of Violin Making to be a real luthier, but I'm kinda happy with my day job. I leave the real work to the real pros. :thu:

Having a friendly resource like that makes a big difference in whether or not a real cheap instrument is a good idea. Had you put that up front, my response might have been slightly more positive (and I don't think I was overly negative).

• Members

You better bring yer ninja skills too, cause that CV-4 will go with me to the grave.
:mad:

:D
I lold.

Won't be just my ninja skills, it'll be my ninja skills AND my katana AND my shurikens I'll be bringin. And hate to tell ya, but at that point, the grave ain't far, but that bass won't be goin with ya bud. ;)

hahahahah. Me too.

Archived