Don't play much?

SteveyDevey

• Members

I've read a lot of people say that they always put in hours of practice per day.

I don't think I've played more than an hour (outside of playing live) more than a handful of times since I started playing (in 2000).

It's always been a hobby to me, and I don't have any goals I'm trying to meet. I also don't play with others, so I've never had anything that I want to work on.

I should try that.

• Members

I don't literally practice for three hours with a music stand and a metronome in front of me. I have the bass in my hands for hours, though. Right now, I have the bass sitting in my lap. And, when there's a ball game on TV, I'll watch the game, but I'd be dabbling on the bass the whole time...

It's a hobby for me, too. But, it's also a love affair. I love the instrument. :D

• Members

I've read a lot of people say that they always put in hours of practice per day.

I don't think I've played more than an hour (outside of playing live) more than a handful of times since I started playing (in 2000).

It's always been a hobby to me, and I don't have any goals I'm trying to meet. I also don't play with others, so I've never had anything that I want to work on.

I should try that.

It's a hobby for me, and I'm not in a band, at all, but I play a ton. I love it. That's what it is to me. Love.

When I pick up one of my irons, I feel like the baddest-ass badass that has ever graced the strings. Not because I'm amazing, but because it makes me feel like I'm worth something, makes me feel like I'm here(not that I'm stripped of reality, mind you). Writing never did that, and still doesn't. Weight lifting didn't do it, either. Reading, no. Painting, nay. etcetc, but bass... Bass... Bass is me, and I am bass.

I don't think that that'll change anytime soon, either. :)

• Members

That's a great thread question, because 5/6 years ago I was doing 1-2 hours a day, religiously.

I wanted to get to a point where I could read the chords and improvise over them, depending on the style of music- jazz being the toughest.

Once I felt that I had a decent sense of what I was doing, I went on to other things- since then it's been heavy on the keyboards, especially analog synths, as well as mastering my DAW workstation, my drummachine , my 60+ pedals.

My new band doesn't demand amazing bass playing- it's more physical stregnth, creative ideas and the ability to not be afraid of whatever you're doing in the moment, even if it's just some huge mistake...

So, yeah, I don't practice anymore, or very rarely...

• Members

I should try that.

today was the first day on about a month and a half that I did not play a bass.

I got the GL a month or so ago then the SX 2 weeks ago so I had something new to play with.

other than that I am like you. play when I feel like it, jam with some guys once in a while.

my rock till ya drop days were done on the mid 80's...

Archived