Anyone here use Cubase? Recording issue...

L-1329

• Members

I am trying to learn this program and ran into an issue. I figured out how to download Fretless' drum jams and load them in, and I'm trying to record a bassline to it but here's the problem...

My setup is based on an Alesis 8 channel firewire mixer/interface going to the PC. The mixer sends each channel seperately, along with the stereo master tracks and receives the monitor mix from the PC. For bass I'm running bass > GBE DI > one channel in the mixer, and that channel is sent to Cubase. Now, the mixer has some internal effects that sound pretty decent and I was trying to put a little chorus on the bass. Problem is they are stereo effects that are only on the main outs, not a single mono channel. With CuBase I have the bass coming into one channel only, and I cannot figure out how to get that doubled onto two channels, so I can use plug-in stereo effects. Is there a way to take a single mono input, and record it simultaneously onto two channels, and then use stereo effects on both? The only thing I can figure out is I may be able to record one single channel, then copy that track to another track and possibly link them, then use effects on both? Bueller? ...Bueller?

• Members

You can switch the record button on on yet another track next to the one you're already recording on and choose the same input source as that one. However, my guess would be it'd leave you with the same effect as copying the contents of the first track to the second. If you want to have the benefit of the stereo effect, you need to record your signal onto a stereo track. Since your mixer is firewire, it should be possible.

• Members

You can switch the record button on on yet another track next to the one you're already recording on and choose the same input source as that one. However, my guess would be it'd leave you with the same effect as copying the contents of the first track to the second. If you want to have the benefit of the stereo effect, you need to record your signal onto a stereo track. Since your mixer is firewire, it should be possible.

I did try doing that, but with two tracks set to the same input I can only select record on one of them. Hit the second record and it cancels the first. I can't figure out how to get both tracks set to record and the same input channel. I thought I could use the mixer mains as a stereo pair, but I haven't figured out how to get these to record on software channels instead of the masters...:(

• Members

I'm not sure it's not a routing issue but I would probably record it dry then simply duplicate the track . I would probably experiment with the effect such as only putting it on the right channel and maybe panning it a bit with some reverb as well and delay while just a wee compression on the dry track :) But you want stereo chorus , It sounds like you are limited by the interfaces internal fx routing only to the main outs , so you can split the signal into 2 channels and come out of the mains and record both left and right at the same time . Just set track 2 to the right input .

• Members

But you want stereo chorus , It sounds like you are limited by the interfaces internal fx routing only to the main outs , so you can split the signal into 2 channels and come out of the mains and record both left and right at the same time . Just set track 2 to the right input .

Well here's what I'm finding. I can use the mixers mains (stereo) and also select these as a stereo pair in the software for one stereo channel. Problem seems to be that I cannot unselect this signal from also going to the software master tracks, and I get a feedback loop. I can turn the master tracks slider down, but then I cannot hear the drum track to record with. I think Catphish might be right that Cubase needs a stereo input to do this, and if so I might not be able to do that...

edit: hmm, if I could get an adapter to split the mic cable from my amp DI to two signals making two identical mixer inputs, that might actually work, which is probably what fretless just said! Might need to hit up a music store...

• Members

Well here's what I'm finding. I can use the mixers mains (stereo) and also select these as a stereo pair in the software for one stereo channel. Problem seems to be that I cannot unselect this signal from also going to the software master tracks, and I get a feedback loop. I can turn the master tracks slider down, but then I cannot hear the drum track to record with. I think Catphish might be right that Cubase needs a stereo input to do this, and if so I might not be able to do that...

edit: hmm, if I could get an adapter to split the mic cable from my amp DI to two signals making two identical mixer inputs, that might actually work, which is probably what fretless just said! Might need to hit up a music store...

the manual says that if you have the "2tk to mix" button down you will get a feedback loop.

i think it explains what you are wanting to do on page 38:

http://alesis.com/downloads/manuals/MMFW12_16Manual.pdf

• Members

the manual says that if you have the "2tk to mix" button down you will get a feedback loop.

i think it explains what you are wanting to do on page 38:

Thanks, that's more help than I've received from the recording forum! I think I have this licked though. I just bought a XLR splitter and run the DI into two seperate mixer channels, then Cubase recognizes them as a pair and I have stereo with effects. I think the feedback loop was caused by Cubase's master tracks not being able to be seperated from the mixer mains at all. Either case this solution takes up another mixer channel, but it does work exactly as I need it too. The more I learn about this stuff the more I realize I don't know!

Archived