IEMs on the way.

burdizzos

• Members

Yeah, I'm expecting a difficult transition period.

I'm holding off on buying them for the band because I don't know if the other guys will like them.

mine didn't, That's why I have a set collecting dust. I've been meaning to sell them for about 2 years, but never have.

Our stage volume is about half of what it was two years ago so it worked out anyway.

• Members

I'm the prime mover in my band.

More importantly you're the sound guy, which is half the battle. However, talking guys into taping there mic's, or whatever it was your were talking about last month, is a bit different than talking them into something that is a completely different way of hearing themselves.

The main gripe is you feel "disconnected" with the rest of the band. Try running a room mic to pic up some of the general sound on stage.

• Members

Unless they're form-fitted, you'll still hear plenty.

I heard still too much, which is why I got custom molded tips and am going to get a full custom molded set once I get some more scratch.

I'm used to and love the sealed off feeling.

• Members

More importantly you're the sound guy, which is half the battle. However, talking guys into taping there mic's, or whatever it was your were talking about last month, is a bit different than talking them into something that is a completely different way of hearing themselves.

The main gripe is you feel "disconnected" with the rest of the band. Try running a room mic to pic up some of the general sound on stage.

I plan on doing extensive experimentation. I want to get our sound better than every other band in our price bracket.

• Members

I plan on doing extensive experimentation. I want to get our sound better than every other band in our price bracket.

One good thing about IEMs, it makes you're playing pretty damn honest. When you flub up, EVERYone on stage turns and looks and smiles at you. :)

• Members

Hmmm, imagine that.
:D

Are you looking to go with a complete quiet stage or just losing the monitors?

I don't know at this point. I've never played a quiet stage with just IEMs, so I have no idea how that will work for me.

I'm looking to do what will make my band sound the best. If it means that The drummer and I are the only ones using the IEM's, then so be it.

We sound best when we can get a good monitor mix with the vocals good and loud, but, in most places, that leads to feedback problems. I'm hoping that the other singer will get on board with it because he sounds much better when he can hear himself.

• Members

Why did you choose the Galaxy setup over a Shure setup?

$$$

And positive reviews. I've read head to head comparisons between the Shure PSM200 and the AS-1000 and the two are equal in most cases, many folks say the Galaxy is better.

I got mine for $350 shipped.

• Members

One thing I've read in the Live Sound forum is the the instances when only one or two members of the band is using IEM's and you want to speak to each other off mic, let's say for instance a unplanned song change, the guys using the IEM's might have to momentarily remove one ear to communicate.

Also like RockStar mentioned, you really only get the true benefit of IEM's if you get custom made ear molds to seal out the exterior sound.

There are lots of threads in the Live Sound forum on IEM's.

• Members

One thing I've read in the Live Sound forum is the the instances when only one or two members of the band is using IEM's and you want to speak to each other off mic, let's say for instance a unplanned song change, the guys using the IEM's might have to momentarily remove one ear to communicate.

I was planning on adding an extra mic on stage that would only feed into the monitors so I can address the band. It would be a handy way to tell my drummer when a song is going to end. :)

• CMS Author

Also like RockStar mentioned, you really only get the true benefit of IEM's if you get custom made ear molds to seal out the exterior sound.

There are lots of threads in the Live Sound forum on IEM's.

They still work fine without custom molds. A good seal is the goal, and this is quite possible with foamies or silicones...it's just a no-brainer with customs. You can decrease the overall volume if you get a good seal, and bass response is improved as well. For some folks a custom mold is the only way to get comfort or to eliminate ear pain (for some, anything in their ear canal causes pain, and nothing works).

On the subject of Galaxy vs Shure, I'm somewhat suspicious of reviews...the Galaxy isn't on the market very long, and how many people really have tried both systems extensively?

• Members

They still work fine without custom molds. A good seal is the goal, and this is quite possible with foamies or silicones...it's just a no-brainer with customs. You can decrease the overall volume if you get a good seal, and bass response is improved as well. For some folks a custom mold is the only way to get comfort or to eliminate ear pain (for some, anything in their ear canal causes pain, and nothing works).

On the subject of Galaxy vs Shure, I'm somewhat suspicious of reviews...the Galaxy isn't on the market very long, and how many people really have tried both systems extensively?

For bassin' IME you really have to get ones that fully seal. I used to use the stock Sennheisers and even foam let in/out too much. For vox and/or guitar, I don't see this being a problem, but it drove me nuts having a guitar amp coming through my ears AND IEMs and still struggling to hear the bass.

My custom tips were only $100 and worth every penny.

• CMS Author

For bassin' IME you really have to get ones that fully seal. I used to use the stock Sennheisers and even foam let in/out too much. For vox and/or guitar, I don't see this being a problem, but it drove me nuts having a guitar amp coming through my ears AND IEMs and still struggling to hear the bass.

My custom tips were only $100 and worth every penny.

Every ear is unique, so the supplied seals may work for someone and suck for someone else...in fact you'll find differences from left to right ear. The custom molds are definitely the preferred path, but as long as you can get a good seal and be comfortable, whatever works...works.

• Members

Every ear is unique, so the supplied seals may work for someone and suck for someone else...in fact you'll find differences from left to right ear. The custom molds are definitely the preferred path, but as long as you can get a good seal and be comfortable, whatever works...works.

That was my problem. I even had to use two different sizes of foam b/c of the how different my ears were. :)

I'm looking to go to the full-molded Westone dual drivers next. 3 way is just a tad overkill for earbuds.

Archived