Forgive me... but I need help

Super_Donut_Man

• Members

So my friend plays bass for this band http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=191673202

Their guitarist is going to be gone for a few weeks while they have a gig or 2. My friend asked me if I could fill in. The problem is that I don't really know (note choice-wise) how to make a solo. Its simple country, and I know I can get by skillwise, I just don't want to go there and look like an idiot.

So please, please, please help me out. I need advice, or a general intro to "Making a guitar solo."

I shall not betray you my brethren of bass again.

• Members

Well, for country it's often based around the major scale. The root, second, third, fifth, and sixth, especially. Start there, and listen to some country solos. See what kind of results you can get with those notes, then start to fit other notes in when you feel like you need to. For example, the seventh can add some tension when you're coming up, then resolving up to the octave from the seventh can sound pretty nice. But sometimes the major seventh sounds best; sometimes the minor seven sounds better. Sometimes you want to avoid the third; sometimes it can sound good as a passing tone.

I'm by no means a guitar or solo expert. Take a major scale and start experimenting. :)

Archived