billy sheehan pinch harmonics

bassdudeguy

• Members

Its easy to do but there is a 'touch' involved that takes practice. It is actually a technique akin to string players doing pizzicato parts. Basically you will pluck the string with your finger while your thumb rests on the string in a mute position...the pluck is a fraction of a second before the mute: almost simutaneously (but not quite - but that damn close!:D). Just keep trying it - youll get the feel for it.

You can get different harmonics just by moving the hand along the length of the string

• Members

Bill explains this in one of his instructional videos - he's basically squeezing the string between his thumb and index fingernail. The percussive attack of the nail adds some high end, and the low end of the note is killed off by the flesh of the thumb, so you just get the upper harmonic. Some people's hands are built to do it like he does, some aren't.

Jaco did something very similar on the intro to "Birdland" on Weather Reports "Heavy Weather" record. His technique was not exactly like Sheehan's but it got the same effect.

It's a "pickless" way of getting pick harmonics as guitar players do. It's not a Lenny Breau or Steve Bailey type of false harmonics.

I often forget how much of a badass Bill is.:thu:

• Members

Yeah, I do that sometimes. I use the neck pickup and boost my highs. Sort of pluck with my index finger and mute with the thumb... I sort of have a guide now for certain notes. Can't remember offhand right now (am at work) but i think for the 7th fret of each string, to get the harmonic I have my index finger above the edge of the neck pickup and pluck there.

Anyway, I can't throw them out of nowhere like Billy does but it does make people look at me with a 'wtf?' expression. Which is always good :D

Archived