• Members

my motherboard is a matsonic MS8308D/E

and i scanned the page from the manual for info

i have 2x128 ram fitted and have used up a slot for a 2 usb controller

my processor is an athlon 1200...

i do see some mention there of max memory support on the mb to 2x512

dare i upgrade or

will the processor not be happy with that

i was going to buy a faster pc...for ram and processor and have loads of capacity for HDD off pc in a caddy

• Members

You'll need to open up the tower, pull out a stick of ram and see what kind it is before you buy anything. I don't mean the brand, I mean it should say something like the following:

DDR SDRAM PC####

The #### are reserved for actual numbers. Once you know what kind it is, type it here and we can point you in the right direction. :)

• Members

did the crucial thing...they say 2x512 are ok

and i may also attempt upgrading the cpu on the 462 socket....i think??

its a amd 1200 and the booklet says the motherboard will take up to 1800 front side bus 266

i really do think maybe a newer all round tower is the answer..i am looking at barebones for pricing but i think i can get a more modern one made up straight from the shop

a dual intel of course

• Members

its a amd 1200 and the booklet says the motherboard will take up to 1800 front side bus 266

You will see little to no appreciable gains by doing that. It'll still feel like a slower computer.

You'll be a lot happier if you get a new computer (obviously) and if you know how to build one, you aren't going to have to spend a lot. Get a motherboard with onboard sound, video, and LAN. Put a cheap Dual Core processor and 2 gigs of RAM into it. Hook up a DVD Burner and a decent hard drive and viola, a fast computer for under $400. Unless you are a gamer, you don't need anything but onboard video and sound, so you end up saving an easy $2-300 right there, plus you can get away with a lesser processor. :thu:

Archived