Passive Bass and Pickups

iassael

• Members

I like passive pickups.

+1

I just sit in a corner and aim for the "sad yet cute" look and hope some despera...I mean some girl walks by and starts to talk to me.

Seriously, though, if the bass you're putting the pickups into has sub-standard pots, I'd look at replacing those. Good pickups and bad pots can sometimes mean the pickups' full potential isn't being realized.

• Members

how can i make my bass active?

I need to change everything?

Generally, there's two different ways electronics are active: active pickups or active preamp. In some cases, both.

If you went with passive pickups and an active preamp, you'd need to buy an active preamp, something along the lines of what Aguilar makes. This would require wiring, perhaps more switches and knobs than your bass currently has holes for and a place to store the battery.

Feasible, but you'll have to determine if it's necessary.

• Members

how can i make my bass active?

I need to change everything?

Do you want active pickups or do you want active preamp? Most active basses only have an active preamp. It is possible to have an an active pickup and a passive preamp. Active pickups just increase the overall signal level. Active preamps allow you to cut or boost certain frequencies.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will say so.

Holy crap, 2 on topic posts in one day!!! :freak:

• Members

Generally, there's two different ways electronics are active: active pickups or active preamp. In some cases, both.

If you went with passive pickups and an active preamp, you'd need to buy an active preamp, something along the lines of what Aguilar makes. This would require wiring, perhaps more switches and knobs than your bass currently has holes for and a place to store the battery.

Feasible, but you'll have to determine if it's necessary.

Dang, you beat me. :mad:

• Members

something else that can go wrong. unless you get a new 9v per show which is a huge waste in itself.

I pretty much play active basses exclusively. I've never had a problem with batteries dying. When they get low, change them. If you think they're too low before a gig...but aren't sure...change em' anyways! Otherwise, keep your bass unplugged when your not playing and you'll be fine.

{censored}...the Modulus...has an 18 volt pre.

I totally agree that it's a pain and that it is one one thing to go wrong...but hey...know your instrument, work with what you've got and you'll be fine.

• Members

If you think they're too low before a gig...but aren't sure...change em' anyways!

Then you can put them in your smoke detector, right? ;)

I agree that a battery is not a hassle. You can tell when it's starting to go out - and after you've run through a battery or two you can tell how many gigs you can make it through on a full charge.

The battery issue should not be a hindrance if an active bass is really what you want. Or perhaps better, if the bass that has the tone you really like is active.

• Members

I totally agree that it's a pain and that it is one one thing to go wrong...but hey...know your instrument, work with what you've got and you'll be fine.

i am slightly biased because my first bass i ever owned is an passive pup/active preamp setup that has a problem with the battery constantly staying on.

working with someone from the company i have replaced two TRS jacks, the preamp itself then all the wiring from the pots to the preamp and it still was eating batteries at a rate of one per 8-10 days. ended up wiring in a kill switch to the red side of the 9v.

on the other hand i joined this website for help with the bass and i got a lot of help instantly which lead me down the right path to fix it. now the only reason batteries die is when i forget to turn the battery off :mad:

• Members

Active PU's aren't better they are just different. If the music you play is aggressive and the sound you want is up front with whom you play with then that's what you need. Active electronics give you that option. Options is what they give. Personally I prefer the passive tone but then I'm a student of the K.I.S.S. philosophy. It's all about personal prefrence.

Archived