MF...

Thumper

• Members

[rant]

Are at it again. I ordered a set of noiseless stack-coil Fender J pups on August 24th, and got an email quoting delivery in 2-5 business days.

I just got off the phone with a very frustrated customer service guy, who said 'yeah, they must be playing indoor soccer or something. Nothing is getting out of the warehouse.'

I swear I've canceled more orders than not from MF due to out-of-stock/late/etc. Maybe they should offer a 'Stupid Excuse of the Day' option.

Jerks...:mad:

[/rant]

• Members

I ordered a SG JR on 7/19 from GC Online. The first one came a month later with a recessed fretboard between the 3rd and 12 frets. It also came without warranty cards and a box that showed signs of multiple shipping labels. I received a replacement yesterday that had buckle rash on the back and heavy pick scratches on the pickguard protective plastic. I was pretty pissed when I called them to return it. They explained that that one was suppose to go to someone else. :mad:

• Moderators

No because it's one organisation comprising of many people.

Would you say the "The government ARE doing something", or "The government IS doing something"?

It should be the former.

I have a colleague pulling out her comparative grammar book to see if there is a reason the rules are different in the UK.

edit: The grammar bibles here can't explain the different usages. You would most certainly be grammatically incorrect here with the plural usage, but I'm not doubting that you could be correct in your usage there. Maybe I should call some guys in our London office.

edit 2: This is from a quick google search:

"The names of companies and other organizations are usually regarded as singular, regardless of their ending: "General Motors has announced its fall lineup of new vehicles." Try to avoid the inconsistency that is almost inevitable when you think of corporate entities as a group of individuals: "General Motors has announced their fall lineup of new vehicles." But note that some inconsistency is acceptable in all but the most formal writing: "Ford has announced its breakup with Firestone Tires. Their cars will no longer use tires built by Firestone." Some writers will use a plural verb when a plural construction such as "Associates" is part of the company's title or when the title consists of a series of names: "Upton, Vernon, and Gridley are moving to new law offices next week" or "Shadrach, Meshach, Abednego & Associates have won all their cases this year." Singular verbs and pronouns would be correct in those sentences, also." http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/plurals.htm

Not a definitive source, but I'm lazy and turning back to real work.

• CMS Author

No because it's one organisation comprising of many people.

Would you say the "The government ARE doing something", or "The government IS doing something"?

It should be the former.

Well, I'd first say it's an untrue statement;):D

But no; it is the latter.

In your example, "government" is a collective noun, and in this case is acting as a unit. It is singular.

Archived